Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Hello everyone,

Ok I dont know where to start with my missery story. I about 2 weeks ago decided to paint my center console (Silver), I tired to get the center console off. I succeded with the bottom part (the stick shift part), but yet failed to get the rest of the console off. Inpatient and Stupid as I was, I decided to paint it with it on. The paint job came out somewhat ok, but the next day when I tried to put the high gloss on it, thats when my missery started. All of a sudden the paint started dripping along with the high gloss, not to mention I got HIGH GLOSS all over my clock and on my ALPINE CDA stero (more specifically on the Glass Panel of the stereo).

CURRENT SITUATION: I finally wet sanded everything down and after spending approx $80 on paint strippers/gloss strippers etc. I have managed to get all the paint off the center console and sanded it down, BUT MY PROBLEM IS THE CLOCK AND MY ALPINE GLASS PANEL. THE HIGH GLOSS JUST WONT COME OFF OF IT. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF BUYING MORE STUFF. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE RECOMMEND SOMETHING THAT THEY KNOW WILL FOR SURE TAKE OFF HIGH GLOSS ????? PLEASE, PLEASE , PLEASE !!

I know this was all stupid and that I should have done it professionally done to begin with. I unfortunately can not change what I did, but yet only learn from it. Any and All tips, advices, and hints for something that can help me and take the Gloss off, would be VERY MUCH APPRICIATED !!!

THANK YOU ALL !!!

Regards,
Celica2KGT !!

Tippy

HAHAHAHAH, that's hilarious man...but i admit we've all done stupid things before. next time before trying something, ask about it first...

have you figured out how to take off the entire center console yet?

as for the clock w/ the gloss on it...remove the clock from the center console and take it apart. there isn't a cleaner that can take the gloss off because all cleaners will melt the plastic. the best thing to do is wet sand that piece of plastic w/ 400 grit wet sandpaper until it's smooth. then clearkote it again w/ 2-3 light coats and it'll look shiny again. good luck.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Hi Eugic92,

Yeah, I agree bud. I will definately ask before I do anything like that nest time. Hahaha, beleive me I learned my lesson. Thank you for your advice, it is very much appriciated.

By the way nop, I have no clue of how to take the center console off, or else I think I would have done that IN THE FIRST PLACE smile !!

Like I said, I managed to get the bottom part (the stick shift part off) and that was about it. I had the hardest time getting the rest of the console off, thats when I finally gave up and went for my STUPID plan!

Best Regards
Celica2KGT

Tippy

ok...the a/c controls...remove the 4 major knobs...just pull them straight off... underneath you will find 2 screws, use your phillips head and remove those...

you kno the bottom piece that you already removed? where the top of that came in contact w/ the a/c control panel, you will find 2 other screws...remove those...so in total you need to remove those 4 screws...then put ur fingers underneath and start pulling it out. there are snaps on each side all the way up to the top so just yank it out slowly and it'll pop right off. good luck.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Eugic92,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY !!! THANKS AGAIN !

Tippy

np man, just ask ppl on the forums before you do something you are unsure of.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I sure will Eugic92. Thanks!

Tippy