Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
want a different engine #34333 Aug 8, 8:02am Aug 8, 8:02am
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 266
Los Angeles, CA
tempest OP
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT
tempest OP
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 266
Los Angeles, CA
want a different engine
ok i want to change my GT (1zz) engine automatic and i to know what engine can i swap the 1zz for? i want to get more hp with the engine swap and mods. does anyone know what engine i can swap? thanks

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34334 Aug 8, 8:05am Aug 8, 8:05am
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,346
LA
S
spaztikid
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
spaztikid
S
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,346
LA
2zz but i'm not sure if you would need to do transmission work.

I've never seen a 7th gen w/ an engine swap

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34335 Aug 8, 8:09am Aug 8, 8:09am
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 313
2000 Custom Spec Blue (Pu Toyota Celica GT
PhatCellyGt
Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT
PhatCellyGt
2000 Custom Spec Blue (Pu Toyota Celica GT
Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 313
Any motor you swap out will need a tranny upgrade. If I was to do a swap it would a 3gts-e motor (celi all-trac) Turbo, awd and capable of over 400 hp!!

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34336 Aug 8, 8:11am Aug 8, 8:11am
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
Williamsport, PA
trog2233
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
trog2233
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
Williamsport, PA
Too much damn money...just get a different car thumbsup

Re: want a different engine [Re: trog2233] #34337 Aug 8, 8:12am Aug 8, 8:12am
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,346
LA
S
spaztikid
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
spaztikid
S
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,346
LA
Originally Posted by trog2233
Too much damn money...just get a different car thumbsup


right on. thumbsup evo or sti anyone?

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34338 Aug 8, 8:13am Aug 8, 8:13am
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 266
Los Angeles, CA
tempest OP
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT
tempest OP
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 266
Los Angeles, CA
what about the 2zz or 3zz which one can i put in and do i need to change the transmission on any of them or just minor stuff?

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34339 Aug 8, 8:18am Aug 8, 8:18am
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
Williamsport, PA
trog2233
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
trog2233
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
Williamsport, PA
Originally Posted by tempest
what about the 2zz or 3zz which one can i put in and do i need to change the transmission on any of them or just minor stuff?


Need a new tranny on either..

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34340 Aug 8, 8:20am Aug 8, 8:20am
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 34
Palmyra, PA
J
Jandree22
Member
2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Jandree22
J
Member
2000 Pontiac Sunfire SE

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 34
Palmyra, PA
whenever asked this question, there's only one answer I believe in... the Chevrolet LS6 laughsilly spineyes
Linked Image


j/k... seriously, why don't you just give David Draper a ring thumbsup


"Protect the Earth. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children."
Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34341 Aug 8, 8:23am Aug 8, 8:23am
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 266
Los Angeles, CA
tempest OP
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT
tempest OP
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 266
Los Angeles, CA
how much is it for a new tranny? do i have to get a modified one or just a stock one?

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34342 Aug 8, 8:33am Aug 8, 8:33am
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 17
R
Rizzard
Member
Rizzard
R
Member

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 17
Money is no worry, how much is the 3gts-e motor (celi all-trac) Turbo?? If I need a new tranny, no prob, i wanna convert it to a manual anyways...is it really gonna be 400hp??

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34343 Aug 8, 10:27am Aug 8, 10:27am
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 313
2000 Custom Spec Blue (Pu Toyota Celica GT
PhatCellyGt
Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT
PhatCellyGt
2000 Custom Spec Blue (Pu Toyota Celica GT
Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 313
Yup, it's the same set-up used in the Ultimate Celica that RMM did.

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34344 Aug 8, 10:31am Aug 8, 10:31am
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,677
South Jersey
R
RicePowered
ECelica Staff
RicePowered
R
ECelica Staff

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,677
South Jersey

Re: want a different engine [Re: spaztikid] #34345 Aug 8, 11:21am Aug 8, 11:21am
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
Steven
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Steven
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
Rod Millen Motorsports did an engine swap on the 7th gen celica and used a fully built, 3S-GTE.

Someone in Florida did the same thing.

Originally Posted by spaztikid
2zz but i'm not sure if you would need to do transmission work.

I've never seen a 7th gen w/ an engine swap

Re: want a different engine [Re: Steven] #34346 Aug 8, 11:43am Aug 8, 11:43am
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
Williamsport, PA
trog2233
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
trog2233
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
Williamsport, PA
Originally Posted by Steven
Rod Millen Motorsports did an engine swap on the 7th gen celica and used a fully built, 3S-GTE.

Someone in Florida did the same thing.

Originally Posted by spaztikid
2zz but i'm not sure if you would need to do transmission work.

I've never seen a 7th gen w/ an engine swap


Yea there are pics floating around somewhere of that one in florida with the MR-2 motor thumbsup

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34347 Aug 8, 11:58am Aug 8, 11:58am
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 89
New Jersey (North)
2002 Spectra Blue Toyota Celica GT
Da Mac
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Da Mac
2002 Spectra Blue Toyota Celica GT
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 89
New Jersey (North)
HMMMM ideas I was thinking the same thing but just going to the 2zz but maybe the 400hp 3s-gte is mos def the way 2 go...

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34348 Aug 8, 2:33pm Aug 8, 2:33pm
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 28
Gadsden, Alabama
shadow_hawk3000
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT
shadow_hawk3000
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 28
Gadsden, Alabama
Put in a rotary!!! j/k. But yeah, the engine from a GT4 all trac would be the way to go.


[Linked Image]
Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34349 Aug 8, 2:56pm Aug 8, 2:56pm
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 522
Lisle, IL
Rave669
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica
Rave669
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 522
Lisle, IL
to keep it emissions legal in most states, the motor has to be as old or newer than what you've got, so 3s-gte may be iffy.

I saw one for sale on e-bay, with tranny. keep in mind, you have a FWD car, most 3s-gte will be for RWD (MR-2) or all wheel drive (Celica all-trac)
an AWD celica would be cool, but you'd need the rear-end from the donor car, and you'd have to figure out how to mount it to your unibody (which means old rear suspension is gone). either that, or the rear-end from an AWD matrix may work easier.

MR-2 swap may be eaisier, but remember, the engine and tranny were mounted in the REAR of the MR2, which may open up a whole new host of problems. You may want to think about just building your current motor, or think up an alternate swap. look into Lexus models, the IS300 might be a suitable candidate, but You'll have to double-check clearance in the engine bay.
It's a LOT of work to get it to fit, but it's entirely possible. both sportshift transmissions from the is300 and celica GTS are almost identical, so it's entirely doable, just remember the IS300 is RWD, you'll probably have to do a rear end swap and some cutting of the firewall/fabrication to get the IS tranny to fit your car, the GTS sportshift is another story, since the inline 6 wont fit sideways under your Hood without custom work. may want to measure to be sure, though.

I would swap in the 2ZZ-GE, best option would be the JDM 2ZZ, as it's rated for more HP and tourque, and has a higher redline. The transmission you have should work, since they are based on the same block, but the sportshift would be better and more reliable (that, or just swap in a manual tranny).

Compression could be lowered a little, and you could add a turbo, you could make plenty of HP, just don't forget to swap in some better axles to handle the added stress. also, don't forget, you'll need the ECU and wiring harness, as well as all the required sensors. doing the harness will be the biggest pain in the ass, BTW.

I like the rotary idea, it'd require some effort, but wouldn't be all that difficult, since the rotary is smaller, but the engine has to be from same manufacurer with current cars to be street legal.

In closing, I have three words for you: 3ZZ Stroker Kit!!! thumbsup


[Linked Image]
Re: want a different engine [Re: Rave669] #34350 Aug 8, 3:11pm Aug 8, 3:11pm
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
Steven
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Steven
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
  • the lexus is300 2JZ-GE motor does not fit in the celica engine bay. even if you were to fit it in there, you still have to fit the transmission in there and doing that would seriously offset the balance of the car as well as the chassis and it will turn the car into a strictly drag car which is thumbsdown
  • Mind you the J spec 2zz has higher hp also because they have better gas. I also don't think the j spec 2zz uses an EGT which would fail you on SMOG
  • Have you actually seen the celica axles? We really don't need to replace them if decided to go f/i. They're sufficient.


Originally Posted by Rave669

I saw one for sale on e-bay, with tranny. keep in mind, you have a FWD car, most 3s-gte will be for RWD (MR-2) or all wheel drive (Celica all-trac)
an AWD celica would be cool, but you'd need the rear-end from the donor car, and you'd have to figure out how to mount it to your unibody (which means old rear suspension is gone). either that, or the rear-end from an AWD matrix may work easier.

MR-2 swap may be eaisier, but remember, the engine and tranny were mounted in the REAR of the MR2, which may open up a whole new host of problems. You may want to think about just building your current motor, or think up an alternate swap. look into Lexus models, the IS300 might be a suitable candidate, but You'll have to double-check clearance in the engine bay.
It's a LOT of work to get it to fit, but it's entirely possible. both sportshift transmissions from the is300 and celica GTS are almost identical, so it's entirely doable, just remember the IS300 is RWD, you'll probably have to do a rear end swap and some cutting of the firewall/fabrication to get the IS tranny to fit your car, the GTS sportshift is another story, since the inline 6 wont fit sideways under your Hood without custom work. may want to measure to be sure, though.

I would swap in the 2ZZ-GE, best option would be the JDM 2ZZ, as it's rated for more HP and tourque, and has a higher redline. The transmission you have should work, since they are based on the same block, but the sportshift would be better and more reliable (that, or just swap in a manual tranny).

Compression could be lowered a little, and you could add a turbo, you could make plenty of HP, just don't forget to swap in some better axles to handle the added stress. also, don't forget, you'll need the ECU and wiring harness, as well as all the required sensors. doing the harness will be the biggest pain in the ass, BTW.

I like the rotary idea, it'd require some effort, but wouldn't be all that difficult, since the rotary is smaller, but the engine has to be from same manufacurer with current cars to be street legal.

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34351 Aug 8, 3:16pm Aug 8, 3:16pm
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 431
fort hood texas
ssgsky
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ssgsky
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 431
fort hood texas
well ya didnt see the celi with the 3.4l from the tundra, it made 1000 hp


10.7157 @ 131.31 on my bike
Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34352 Aug 8, 9:16pm Aug 8, 9:16pm
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 190
Texas
2003 Black Toyota Celica GT
Snake03GT
Member
2003 Toyota Celica GT
Snake03GT
2003 Black Toyota Celica GT
Member
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 190
Texas
i heard the ultimate celi really wasnt that fast


[Linked Image]
Re: want a different engine [Re: Snake03GT] #34353 Aug 8, 9:55pm Aug 8, 9:55pm
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
Milford, NJ
VSGTS14
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
VSGTS14
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
Milford, NJ
Originally Posted by Snake03GT
i heard the ultimate celi really wasnt that fast


it was pretty fast...AWD 500 hp...but it was just a show car wasn't it?
i thought it had a lot of problems?


SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL
Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34354 Aug 8, 9:58pm Aug 8, 9:58pm
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
Steven
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Steven
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
it has transmission problems.

Re: want a different engine [Re: Steven] #34355 Aug 8, 10:02pm Aug 8, 10:02pm
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
Milford, NJ
VSGTS14
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
VSGTS14
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
Milford, NJ
Originally Posted by Steven
it has transmission problems.


yea that's it. wink


SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL
Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34356 Aug 9, 10:26am Aug 9, 10:26am
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 266
Los Angeles, CA
tempest OP
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT
tempest OP
Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 266
Los Angeles, CA
so in other words i should just stay with the 1zz and get the dd turbo kit. i just wanted to know if i could swap my auto celica gt engine for a better one.

Re: want a different engine [Re: tempest] #34357 Aug 9, 3:34pm Aug 9, 3:34pm
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
Milford, NJ
VSGTS14
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
VSGTS14
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
Milford, NJ
Originally Posted by tempest
so in other words i should just stay with the 1zz and get the dd turbo kit. i just wanted to know if i could swap my auto celica gt engine for a better one.


turbo it.


SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL
Join the conversation - Register Now or Log In to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Member Spotlight
CooKie_MoNsTeR2k
CooKie_MoNsTeR2k
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Va

Posts: 227
Joined: June 2003
Random: I spend to much damn money on this car.....
Show All Member Profiles 
Recent Topics
Resurrecting a 2000 GT automatic.
by cosmo64. 10/19/2017 1:19 PM
APR strut bar brace for 2000 GTS
by TweakMaster. 10/15/2017 8:02 PM
Help with vacuum hose
by Chaos. 10/15/2017 6:07 PM
My 2000 GTS
by TweakMaster. 10/14/2017 6:29 PM
Replaced bad MAF. Now getting p0300/p1300 CEL codes. HELP!
by Bblee1989. 10/14/2017 4:34 PM
What kind of rim is this?
by mariahjordan. 10/10/2017 8:05 PM
Changed Headlight but so Dimm
by smsih. 10/10/2017 2:55 PM
Anyone know this remote unlock key? trying to ID it!
by kieronboz. 10/04/2017 2:36 AM
Customize Your Toyota Celica Privacy Policy · About · Contact
Privacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2017
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Snapshot build 20171020)