Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 405
Erick022121
Rollin On Hubs
Erick022121 Nov 22, 4:50am - #332489 

Rollin On Hubs
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 405
Tampa, Florida
1zz-fe tuned ecu?

I read this...

Compression is a relatively high 10:1, especially considering that the 1ZZ-FE is designed to run on 87-octane gas. Toyota claims no performance benefits from using higher octane fuel, so tuning is probably pretty conservative to avoid detonation. Some power may be hidden away in the ECU if you re-tune it for 92-octane gas. ROM-tuning Toyota ECUs tends to be relatively expensive, but in this case, it may be worth it.




tuned ecu for 92 octane help anyone know?

Despite The cost of living, its still popular!
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
isaac
ECelica Admin
isaac Nov 22, 5:29am - #332490 
2001 Absolutely Red Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
Los Angeles, CA
my automatic transmission feels much more responsive when I switch from 87 octane to 91... oh well, I guess it's all just my imagination rolleyes

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 802
shox
Senior Member
shox Nov 22, 9:05am - #332491 

Senior Member
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 802
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah I wanna know about this...if this helps I'm going in to get the ECU tuned.
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,304
SLVCELI
Specialist
SLVCELI Nov 22, 3:37pm - #332492 
2002 Liquid Silver Metall Toyota Celica GT
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,304
West Chester, Ohio
...um...whats their to know. Just get a emanage to tune it to better octane gas (and your mods) and you will gain horsepower. I guess im confused; If your asking if you will gain horsepower without mods but going to higher octane gas, I would assume so. It doesnt matter though because you will gain horsepower from a better tune anyways, regardless if it was because of the gas.

[Linked Image]
BETWEEN WHO YOU ARE AND WHO YOU COULD BE
BETWEEN HOW IT IS AND HOW IT SHOULD BE
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 439
JSPITZ
Senior Member
JSPITZ Nov 22, 3:41pm - #332493 

Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 439
SPRINGFIELD, VA
Originally Posted by isaac
my automatic transmission feels much more responsive when I switch from 87 octane to 91... oh well, I guess it's all just my imagination rolleyes


It is more responsive, the owners manual suggest 87 or higher thumbsup

[Linked Image]
HONDA HUNTER
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 439
JSPITZ
Senior Member
JSPITZ Nov 22, 3:45pm - #332494 

Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 439
SPRINGFIELD, VA
Originally Posted by Erick022121
I read this...

Compression is a relatively high 10:1, especially considering that the 1ZZ-FE is designed to run on 87-octane gas. Toyota claims no performance benefits from using higher octane fuel, so tuning is probably pretty conservative to avoid detonation. Some power may be hidden away in the ECU if you re-tune it for 92-octane gas. ROM-tuning Toyota ECUs tends to be relatively expensive, but in this case, it may be worth it.




tuned ecu for 92 octane help anyone know?


just about all cars can run on 91 or better the engine is designed to run on 86 and up. the ECU is able to adapt to the changes in fuel grade. but if you want to get the
e-mange thumbsup

[Linked Image]
HONDA HUNTER
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 528
renfield90
Senior Member
renfield90 Nov 22, 7:01pm - #332495 

Senior Member
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 528
Tempe, AZ
I've heard that the Civic Si, if you put 87 in, will retard timing, put a rev limiter at 6000 RPMs, and disengage VTEC. I haven't heard of a stock ECU adjusting for a higher fuel grade, and I don't see any reason why Toyota would put that in there.

In order to fully take advantage of 92 or higher octane, you need to advance the timing. This can be done with the Apexi PFC, I'm not sure if the Greddy Emanage is capable of this but it might be worth looking into.

I don't know exactly how much power you'd get out of doing that, and whether it would be worth the cost of a PFC or Greddy Emanage just for that sake. Plus, if you tune your timing for 92, that means you need to always use 92 - any less and your engine will begin to knock. However, if you had several other mods, then the increase from those w/proper tuning could be worth it...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: there is an addon to the Emanage that will let you control ignition timing...
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,346
spaztikid
dikitzaps
spaztikid Nov 22, 7:38pm - #332496 
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,346
LA
your best bet is a PFC... you would have to advance your timing and lean out a bit... but then your engine wont last nearly as long...

its not as easy as it sounds... and in the end your only gonna get maybe ~~~ 15 whp if your running way lean...
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 802
shox
Senior Member
shox Nov 23, 9:42am - #332497 

Senior Member
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 802
Calgary, Alberta
What is the Apexi PFC? Links? I think I know what it is, but I'm not sure.

So what your saying, if my 1ZZ runs on leaner gas, say 91 octane, it could actually kill the engine faster? Would I have to tune my ECU to Intake at 91 Octane? After tuning the ECU to Intake at 91 Octane, is it possible to switch back to 87 Octane for the next fuel up?

Cause I was thinking of maybe boosting up the Octane during race, and on everyday street just run regular 87. Is that possible? Wow...I have lotsa questions...
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,030
RevMonster
Masta OC
RevMonster Nov 23, 9:48am - #332498 

Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,030
Orange County, Ca
Originally Posted by shox
What is the Apexi PFC? Links? I think I know what it is, but I'm not sure.

So what your saying, if my 1ZZ runs on leaner gas, say 91 octane, it could actually kill the engine faster? Would I have to tune my ECU to Intake at 91 Octane? After tuning the ECU to Intake at 91 Octane, is it possible to switch back to 87 Octane for the next fuel up?

Cause I was thinking of maybe boosting up the Octane during race, and on everyday street just run regular 87. Is that possible? Wow...I have lotsa questions...


It's a replacement ECU. Basically, it lets you control every function that the ECU normally controls. Timing, rev limiter, ect. You can adjust it as often as you want any way you'd like, but you're going to need a dyno, a laptop (i believe this is how you transfer data), and lots of know-how to get it right. It won't be a plug-and-play mod like an exhaust... and if you screw up, it's going to hurt. It will let you set it up however you want, even in ways that will destroy the engine.

I'm just a crosshair
I'm just a shot away from you
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 802
shox
Senior Member
shox Nov 23, 10:02am - #332499 

Senior Member
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 802
Calgary, Alberta
Where could I possibly go to learn more on how to use this tool? I could I hurt my engine with this mod? Do I really need a laptop too cause doesn't the PFC let you input the data with a device in the car?
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,030
RevMonster
Masta OC
RevMonster Nov 23, 10:08am - #332500 

Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,030
Orange County, Ca
Originally Posted by shox
Where could I possibly go to learn more on how to use this tool? I could I hurt my engine with this mod? Do I really need a laptop too cause doesn't the PFC let you input the data with a device in the car?


I've never seen the phsyical unit; I'm not sure how the data is displayed and inputed. There are a few on the site who have used it before, hopefully one of them can give you more info.

As far as hurting your engine, yes it is possible, but that doesn't mean it will happen. If you tune correctly, everything will be fine. But whenever you are playing around with engine functions without safety restraints on the changes you are making, it's possible to make a harmful change.

I'm just a crosshair
I'm just a shot away from you
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016