Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#330025 Nov 18, 12:56pm
I've just about decided to order a Clarion ADB340MP stereo and make my first audio system upgrade. I have a few questions I'm hoping people can answer.

1. This headunit is 17W x 4 continuous, 50W x 4 peak. How does that compare to the factory stereo (6-speaker package, not the JBL)?

2. Is there any difference in aftermarket wiring harnesses? As long as it's designed for the Toyota Celica, is one any better than another?

3. Do I need an adapter for the antenna input, or does the existing antenna wire just unplug from the factory stereo and plug right into the new one?

4. Where can I get the best price on the side filler strips? (Toyota part numbers 86221-52050 and 86221-52060)

5. Does anyone have the dimensions for the factory-installed amp that comes with the premium stereo system? How and where is it mounted? Can an aftermarket amp be mounted in the same location/manner? For now I'm just replacing the headunit, but if I decide to add an amp someday, I'd like to mount it out of the way.

6. How big do subs have to be to be effective? I use my trunk on a regular basis, and sometimes fold down the back seat to carry large items, so I wouldn't want to have a trunk-mounted sub or amp. Is there such a thing as a 6-1/2" sub that provides significant bass compared to a full-range speaker that I could mount where the rear speakers are?

I have other questions about speaker selection, crossovers, installation, etc., but I'll wait until I actually decide to make more changes.

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
i suggest you brake up those questions into more than one thread over the course of a week. its a lot to read and look up at once. im leaving work right now so i cant help you with everything..first of all the head unit you bought is going to be better than the 6 speaker jbl system ..if you have 4 good speakers to go with it also. the jbl sound system isnt really that great. a for aftermarket wiring harnesses. they are all pretty much the same. not a big deal.im pretty sure you dont need an adapter for the antenna. about your subs..get 4 3 way speakers that are better than average and you will have decent base. if you want more your going to have to sacrifice your trunk w/ one 10 inch sub. anything smaller when it comes to subs is worthless in my opinion. thumbsup

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
1.) Any aftermarket headunit (15-25 watts RMS) will put out more power than the stock deck (10-12 w RMS).

2.)All the same just make sure if to get either the GT or GTS wiring harness since they are different.

3.)Factory Antenna plug works for all headunits.

4.)Not sure what side filler strip is.

5.)Factory amp is very small and is located behind the glove box. Do not place an aftermarket amp there because it needs ventilation since they are more powerful.

6.)Smallest I would go is an 8" sub. You could get a amplified bass tube if you want to save space. You dont need an amp and you can place the tube on one side of the trunk and have plenty of room.

Hope that help.

Last edited by vaio23; Nov 18, 2004 5:38pm.

2003 Celica GT with Hotchkis Drop

03 Toyota Celica GT
03 Toyota Celica GT
definately do the 8 inch like the last post said, but do it ported if you want it louder, especially since you have a hatch back, do not put an amp in the factory location, besides if you can fit an aftermarket amp in that tiny space, it is probabaly shitty anyway, and unless you want to re wire the whole system at the factory amps plug, go to your local shop and get the plug for the lexus' that integrates the factory amp, then the wattage of the head unit isnt going to matter because you are still running it throught the factory am, you can drop the entire glove box for easy access to it, email me at drpdmazda@verizon.net if you need more help, the cars are a pain in the ass to re wire but it is kind of easy