Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#305499 Oct 20, 8:40pm
2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
What do I have to buy to put a AEM CAI on a Stafford Fabrication Turbo Kit for a GT?? Blue Bomber said the piping will be different so don't know what else I would have to buy and would the turbo have to be modified??

Also, only 3" Magnaflow muffler for 3" downpipe is a racing style...does that mean it is illegal??? thanks for the help...trying to make my Celcia the s**it on the East Coast...i already get looks all the time thumbsup Please help thanks

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Well in most states the law is widely misinterpreted by racers. The law usualy states that any exhaust other than stock is illegal. basic that means its at the cops discretion to ticket you. If this is not the case were you live, id say that if your getting a turbo kit then no exhaust setup you could do would be legal, because the legality issue is based on how clean your exhaust gas is. and with a turbo it would be a shit tone dirtier. with turbo kits the filter is usually directly attached to the kit, however, you could cut a segment off and use a cuppler to attack the piping. the placement of the turbo setup will determan where and how you can run the piping(if its possible)

"If your not the lead Dog the View never Changes"

dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
you cant use an AEM cai with a turbo...

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
cool thanks...i live in Massachussetts and friends have 300zx twin turbos and they are legal...so what should i do about the exhaust???

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
u sure?? blue bomber said you can?? ok...then what about the exhaust??

dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
the stafford turbo will come with everything you need for external engine mods...

if you plan on getting a turbo, then get a custom 3 inch exhaust without any muffler or resonators... the turbo will act as a resonator in itself and will quiet down the exhaust so it sounds nice.

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
is that legal in Massachussets?

SD Syndicate
2004 Toyota Celica GT
SD Syndicate
2004 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by spaztikid
you cant use an AEM cai with a turbo...

I was gonna say...WTF? wtf

Turbos have their own intake that works specifically with the manifold.

[Linked Image]
2004 Toyota Celica GT
***Blue Batmobile sponsored vehicle***

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
There is no point in using a CAI with a turbo. You could be running air into the turbo from the north pole and it would still get super heated as soon as it was compressed. Thats why most turbos have the filter no more than 6 inches off the inlet. The only way you are going to cool down the air before it enters the engine is an intercooler.

Custom turbo....Jealous Much??

2004 Toyota Celica GT
2004 Toyota Celica GT
U can have a CAI. You have to have it custom made. And too tell you the truth. It will help! If you get a 3inch CAI you'll be cooling the shit outa the turbo and it will help keep the car running cold temp. and so you won't worry about over heating your turbo. Why do you think you gotta let your car cool down.. (If you have a turbo) when you stop driving you should let your car run so the turbo can cool down. CAI is a great idea with a turbo. Custom is the way to go.

dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by GT2111
U can have a CAI. You have to have it custom made. And too tell you the truth. It will help! If you get a 3inch CAI you'll be cooling the shit outa the turbo and it will help keep the car running cold temp. and so you won't worry about over heating your turbo. Why do you think you gotta let your car cool down.. (If you have a turbo) when you stop driving you should let your car run so the turbo can cool down. CAI is a great idea with a turbo. Custom is the way to go.

rofl rofl rofl

this guy is confused

2004 Toyota Celica GT
2004 Toyota Celica GT
correct me than..I wanna know how im confused.

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Alright its all about physics. say you have a jar of air that has x number of molecules in it bouncing around and off the surface of the jar. Molocules are always in motion. if you shrink the jar then those molocules that are bouncing around in the surface of the jar have less distance to travel before they bounce off something else. therefore they start to move faster. Say you shink the jar to half its size with the same amount of air in it, then the molocules will have to move twice as fast as they did before. So now the molocules are hitting the surface of the jar twice as much causeing twice as much pressure. This increased activity produces heat.

So it doesent matter if the air is 50 degrees comming from a CAI or 150 degrees comming from your engine bay, its going to be super pressurized in a split second as soon as it hits the turbo, and the air temp will shoot up to like 500 degrees. Once it is pressurized then you can cool it down by running it through an intercooler.

The only thing a CAI will do is bog down the air flow by making the turbo suck air through a 4 foot long metal straw.

Custom turbo....Jealous Much??

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by TRDOTC
u sure?? blue bomber said you can??
No I didn't. confused

What do I have to buy to put a AEM CAI on a Stafford Fabrication Turbo Kit for a GT?? Blue Bomber said the piping will be different
Different in that you'd have to basically have a custom CAI made. No way any aftermarket CAI could be used, or even modded to fit in the engine bay. The piping setup is completely different when you have a turbo (there's a ton more of it even before you add a CAI).

i live in Massachussetts and friends have 300zx twin turbos and they are legal...
They're legal because they came with the car. Adding stuff like that to a car that never came with it will definitely mess with emissions, which is illegal.

Originally Posted by Aerowilson182
The only thing a CAI will do is bog down the air flow by making the turbo suck air through a 4 foot long metal straw.
Exactly. smile A CAI at best will reduce temps maybe 20 degrees. Turbo air is way, way, way hotter than ambient air, since the other side of the turbo is flowing exhaust gasses straight from the engine. That's the main reason you need an intercooler (to recool the air back down near ambient before it enters the engine). Adding a CAI before probably won't have any effect at all on the air by the time it enters the engine, after it gets heated back up and cooled back down again.

2004 Toyota Celica GT
2004 Toyota Celica GT
Thanks for clearify that for me thumbsup thumbsup

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
...sorry blue bomber..wrong guy...dumb ass me...who the hell was it then?? oh well..so if i want to stay street legel, i can't get a turbo??? damnit!!

you did tongue in PM about the CAI works with Turbos with different pipiing..oh well no biggie and nm!! rofl wave

So i cna't get a turbo to stay street legal??

Last edited by TRDOTC; Oct 21, 2004 8:43am.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
...sorry blue bomber..wrong guy...dumb ass me...who the hell was it then?? oh well..so if i want to stay street legel, i can't get a turbo??? damnit!!

you did tongue in PM about the CAI works with Turbos with different pipiing..oh well no biggie and nm!! rofl wave

So i cna't get a turbo to stay street legal??
Doh, musta screwed up the PM during editing. You can in the next sentence, though, that I said the piping route was completely different when using a turbo.

And no, there's no possible way to use a turbo and stay street legal. It will mess around with emissions big time, since you want to run much richer than stock, and the turbo will be pushing out much more exhaust gasses than stock.