The way I see it, you have several options: (CDN$)
1) Get a used GT motor. They are about $1500 ( www.car-part.com
), but your going to need to get one shipped from another province because there are currently none in Ontario. It would be an easy in & out & cost you about 11 hours shop labour plus incidentals.
2) Get a used GTS motor. Its gonna cost ya about $2500 ( www.car-part.com
), plus whatever the dealer wants for the wiring harness, computer, motor mount & you have to make sure you get everything attached to the motor. (They like to strip the motor). It will take an experienced shop some time to convert the wiring harness.
3) Rebuild to original specs. Rebuilding is very expensive. The parts alone for a stock rebuild is about $3,000 with gaskets & tax plus machining time & labour. I'd say about $5,000 out the door.
4) Rebuild the 2L option which is going to be considerably more than the above. Say about $8,000.
5) Report your car stolen and call the insurance company.
Do you have a 5 speeed or an auto?