Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

can
1991 Toyota Celica
1991 Toyota Celica
Hi all,

I recently bought a '91 celica gts, and I was actually happy about it, before I brought the car to the mechanic. Well I already new the power steering fluid was leaking, but he told me the problem was not only that. Here are the problems that he said my car had:

Power steering leak : ~450 labor/parts
Engine Oil Leak : ~600 labor/parts
breaks need to be changed : ~400 or something like that
alternator needs to be changed : ~250 labor/parts

I was honestly shocked. I'm also new to this market and stuff. This one is my first car after all. I told him to change the alternator only and leave the other stuff for a later time.

I don't know how do you guys handle your car repairs but is there any way to do the basic stuff by myself, for example buying the break discs and changing it?

And one more thing? I don't have a manual or somethig like that for the car. I searched the internet and also this website to find out the specifications, but I only find that of the 7th generation celica. If you can help me out with those stuff, I would appreciate that. Drive safe wink

FWD
1995 Toyota Celica
FWD
1995 Toyota Celica
the brake change is easy theres about 2 bolts you remove and pop out the old pads and new ones drop in. as for the engine leak it depends on where its at. if its from the valve cover head gasket thats an easy fix about 1 hr tops. also the power steering is a little bit different havnt changed that for myself so i cant say if its easy or not and same with the alternator but the alternator appears to be fairly simple to replace. hit me up on AIM or pm me and well talk more in detail about your problems.

and welcome to the site smile

[Linked Image]

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Dude, you got the process somewhat reversed!

1) Bring the car to YOUR mechanic when buying from private party
2) Buy the car if mechanic approves general condition

Also, you probably should have caught the power steering and oil leaks by looking under the car before and especially AFTER your test drive. (you did test drive it, no? confused)

If a complete brake (note correct spelling) job was needed, you
probably should have felt that during test drive. (you did test drive it, no? eek)

With your stimatd $1700 in repairs, hopefully you go the car for a couple hundred $$. (you only spent a couple hundred, didn't you? eek)

Life is the sexually transmitted interruption of an otherwise peaceful existence...

can
1991 Toyota Celica
1991 Toyota Celica
well, I bought the car from a friend, and he told me every problem he had before selling the car. and of course I did a test drive smile either my friend was not honest with me about the engine oil leak, or it happened after I bought the car. I already new about the leaking power steering fluid, and negotiated on the price considering that.

1990 Toyota Celica
1990 Toyota Celica
If its the power stering hose thats ony 30 bucks i had to replace mine when i got my 5th gen and its a bitch to replace.

can
1991 Toyota Celica
1991 Toyota Celica
yeah thats the hose. gotta replace that but dunno how.