Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hey Im hopin you guys can help me out with somethin...Ive been tryin to decide on whether to buy a GT or GTS, because originally I was lookin at GTS but the high compression ratio is scaring me off a little due to the limitations it puts on you engine wise (no nitrous, turbos, etc...), but if i put in some low comp pistons would that make a big enough difference to even be worth it? and what else can be done to lower the compression? because id prefer to have the lift (VVTL-i) that the GTS engine has but also want to have room for improvement ya know wink

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
All depends on the cash you want to spend... turbo-performance.com has a turbo kit for the GTS that is a starters kit where basically you pay $3400, they add turbo/intercooler/piping and it adds about 50hp but you can later upgrade the fuel system, internals:crank and low comp pistons,and then turn up the boost. I think whether you have the GT or the GTS you really shouldn't go above 10lbs. of boost. So with about 6G's you should be able to go from 180hp to 300hp. then get some slicks and you'll have a BEAST ... and teh best looking import on the market... thumbsup

[Linked Image from clubcelica.com]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
and ask yourself... "Am I REALLY going to get a turbo?"

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
uhh...thought about it and as soon as the pocket book allows and after i get a few other mods first

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
before getting a turbo make sure you figure everything out first. Now there is labor for this bolt on kit in So Cal it runs from $250~$750 for basic turbo-kit install. Now you have to have some sort of fuel management, when the turbo is on the car you have to tune the car which cost around $75~$200+ If you want to boost better than 5p.s.i. you will need low compression pistons and rods pretty much build up the bottom end which means another $3000. Boost higher means boost controller installed is another $600 and don't forget about all the gauges you will need to keep track how the turbo is working... This is not a small project and it will kill your pocketbook, I am in my turbo for $6000 and I am not done yet...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Mike is sooo right, this will eat your pocket book... he is $6K and even though his car is a beast, its still probably not what he wants it to be/what it could be... My $0.02 is just to spend about $1200, get the Full Nitrous express kit, and a exhaust temp gauge to monitor if it is getting to high, but it shouldn't if you just run 50hp shots, no LARGER! When I get it I'm going to run 35's on the street and only go to 50's when i got to the track. But I have GTS. Either way GL!!

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
the reason why i asked you to ask yourself, if you're really going to get a turbo is because many want it, but few get it. You may be one of those few. I might be one of those few one day, but everyone that wants one doesnt get one.

Originally posted by guest:
uhh...thought about it and as soon as the pocket book allows and after i get a few other mods first