Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
FastCelicaGT22
FastCelicaGT22 Sep 5, 11:25pm - #267398 

2000 Toyota Celica GT

Columbus, Ohio
Want to Paint headlight Ring

Im going to be taking the bumper off to put on my New Veilside GT Fenders here shortly and while the bumper is off I thought that I would fix my passenger side headlight. For some reason about three weeks again it started getting moisture in the headlight and hasnt gone away, so while the headlight is apart I am going to paint the the ring that is around the lowbeam Black.

My questions are...What kind of paint is best for the plastic, and has anyone had any problems with the paint melting or flaking? What about putting on a protective clear coat to protect the paint? When you put the painted headlight back in the oven to remelt the glue has anyone had problems with the paint melting?
Any info is welcome and appreciated
robare99
robare99 Sep 5, 11:31pm - #267399 

2003 Toyota Celica GT

Alberta, Canada
Follow this writeup for steps 1 to 5. Don't do steps 6 or beyond. It explains opening the lights really well.

https://www.celicahobby.com/ubbthreads/thread.f_1869867144_0_collapsed_5__1.html

Then if you want you can use the guide below that I whipped up while I did mine. Take your time, do a good job. No clearcoating needed. I didn't have problems putting the lights back in the oven to reseal. When I put them in to reseal, I only left them in for 8 minutes since I didn't want to take any chances. Worked well.

http://celicagarage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1185

Here's a couple of pics. Paint the underside of the plastic if you want them to look ribbed like mine.

Linked Image
Linked Image
Linked Image