I went back to the place I bought the hoist & they gave me a better quality 8 ton jack to replace the malfuntioning one.
With the hoist working I finally got the engine and tranny coupled properly.
Originally I bolted the flexplate on, bolted the torque converter to the flexplate, slid the tranny on & bolted it up. That's when the crack occurred.
This time I bolted the flexplate on, slid the torque converter into the tranny, bolted the tranny to the engine & then used the small open space to bolt the torque converter to the flex plate. Success!!
Its been too hot to work, so I just did about 3 hours of late night work now that its cooled off. Wish I wasn't so tired & could work till morning.