Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

1990 Toyota Celica
1990 Toyota Celica
Ok, I just bought my first car, a 90 Celica GTS and the stereo is more than dead.

1st, the entire right channel doesnt work as far as i can tell.
2nd, the rear speakers in the very back are not even there.
3rd, both front door speakers dont work
4th the tweets in the front dont work

are there any other speakers in this car i dont know about?

The only speaker that appears to work is the drivers side in the rear seat, and it doesnt sound that good at all.

So basically the intire thing is junk.

I dont have tons of cash to spend on stereo, but i do want something nice to listen to.

So far i plan on getting 2 sony xplod 6.5s for the back seat(should i put something in the front instead?) and a sony mp3 deck to start.

A friend of mine has 2 Alpine Performance tweeters he is gonna give me that he doesnt need any more.

I know Sony isnt considerd to be great for car stereo or anything, but it'll do for me.

So i guess my question is,how good is the stock AMP under the passenger seat? Will it do for now till i can replace it?, and can it run a sub? I just plan on getting 1 ten inch and putting it in the hatch.

Other questions i have are.. what size / kind are the speakers in the doors? are there any in the dash?, what kind/size am i supposed to put in the back of the car?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I know basically nothing about car stereos, so i appreciate any advise you can offer.

BTW: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/668474

just waxed it up today, take a look.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
how much did that set ya back? my car cost $2,300

1990 Toyota Celica
1990 Toyota Celica
it cost me $4700 after taxes Canadian with a 2 year warrenty on everything.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
mine was $2,300 with like a year or 2 warranty.

how many miles does yours got, and so on...oh and that would be 3,583.26 american money.

1990 Toyota Celica
1990 Toyota Celica
it has 190,000 K, or 118,000 Miles. Lots of new parts, mint body. Just the last guy totaly messed up the stereo.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
i got mine for 700USD. It needed a clutch job which me and my uncle did together.

As far as the audio stuff goes... I have a gt so i'm not sure if you're supposed to have speakers in the "very back" I only have front speakers, none on the doors, and 2 speakers right next to the rear seats. I have gotten feed back from others before about sony xplod stuff and they generally said if you don't use sony stuff with sony stuff (i.e: sony headunit + sony amp + sony speakers + sony sub) you'll get crap sound compared to the stock ones. My guess is that the previous owner used to have a system in the car but got it removed terribly wrong therefore making the speakers malfunction. When you go to get your audio stuff put in make sure they install it right (i.e: rc cables running on opposite side of car in relation to power cables) Also for a recommendation on audio stuff most everyone has said that infiniti references are a great upgrade from the stock speakers.

GT4
1990 Toyota Alltrac
GT4
1990 Toyota Alltrac
4700bux eek wow...was it in perfect shape? mine cost 1400usd...sellin her btw frown

-Ash

90 all trac 98k miles... *To be resurrected...*
Gives new meaning to "It looks fast"...It IS fast
'90 rolla "Lunchbox on wheels" 167k strong!

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
If you have speaks in the doors then either you have a system 10, or someone has swapped your original panels for Sys 10 ones. Sys 10 (10 speaks) has 2 3 1/2" in dash near knees, 2 in doors 5 1/2" I believe, 2 tweets on door behind mirror, 2 5 1/2" in back seat (6 1/4" will fit), and 2 tweets behind rear seat in hatch area over suspension pillars. If they just swapped panels then you won't have the tweets in hatch area. I think you can also get 6 1/4" to fit in the doors, but not sure.

1991 Toyota Celica GT
1991 Toyota Celica GT
i suggest you don't get the sony rear speakers and buy the stock speakers from me for $30. The stock speakers hit pretty dang hard. You just gotta route power to the rear. My 180W pioneers powered by even an amp sound BARELY an improvement. But an all sony xplod system would be cool to see (sony tweeters, speakers, amp, and sub)

1990 Toyota Celica GT
1990 Toyota Celica GT
If that is the Toyota amp, then you have the system 10 -- no other Celica audio system had an amp.

For real authorities on the 5th-gen, check celicatech.com. For some reason they seem to be heavily populated by older Celica owners. You'll be looking for the forum on Electrical, Audio & Security. There's even a thread on putting in an aftermarket head unit with the system 10. thumbsup

According to guys who own them, the system 10 carried 4" woofers in the dash, 8" subs in the doors, 6.5" woofers with 0.5 cubic foot enclosures (why they hit hard) in the rear side panels, tweeters mounted at the mirrors on the doors and above the rear struts behind the backseats, and an amplifier under the passenger seat. The rear tweeters run off the same harness as the rear speakers, while the front tweeters share with the dash speakers.

Even factory specs, the system 10 is still one of the best audio systems you could design for quality sound. Unless you're a total audiophile or demand teeth-rattling bass, re-establishing the stock layout will be plenty. I'm stupidly happy just with the GT setup (dash and rear speakers, front tweets) powered by a 200-watt Alpine deck. grin

It's hard to find small subs, but AVI (www.avisound.com [avisound.com]) makes good 8" subs and mid-bass drivers. Beyond that, you get what you pay for in speakers.

To re-mount the rear tweeters, you'll need to find a GTS and steal the panels --they hold the tweeters up and pointing towards the passenger compartment.

Replacing speakers and the head unit sounds good, but I'd really check your harness for power delivery too. eek

1990 Celica GT
Men call cars "she" so they can claim to understand at least one female.

1992 Toyota Celica
1992 Toyota Celica
my system was shit too, but i bought an alpine deck and a set of 6.5 speakers for the doors and tweeters for the front, it was pretty messed up when i was wiring cause i thought that i would loose a bunch of speakers but when all was done all the speakers worked fine and the back speakers are some of the best i heard