Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Ok I need some idea help from those more knowledgeable than me here.
The Auto GTS has 4 gears, here are the lift points on level ground.

20-40 mph in 1st
60-80 mph in 2nd
80-140mph in 3rd

What I want is a way to put in a computer controlled boost of nitrous in that gap between 40-60mph. Something small like a 30-35 shot that won't hurt the engine, and would only be used during races.

Is this feasible? I'd like to have a way that 2nd gear could shift in and BOOM automatically get the shot (when its enabled of course). Should shoot my RPM's up fast and put me into the next stage of lift. If that works I'd also like to get it to hit at the time when 3rd gear first takes over at around 80mph.

Gimme ideas here smile I think its my cheapest option to make up for the fact I can't stay in lift like a standard can. I'm not expecting a miracle, but dropping down into the low 14 second range on the 1/4 mile would make me happy smile

Why settle for a lesser evil, Cthulhu awaits....

Venom makes a comp controlled nitrous kit. so you can set it up at certain rpms and you can change the horsepower increase without changing any jets
its what i plan on getting

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
i love that... keep me updated on how this thing turns out... did you find out anything else about it? if it won't hurt the engine i'm def gona go for that... great idea

Originally Posted by CrazyD
i love that... keep me updated on how this thing turns out... did you find out anything else about it? if it won't hurt the engine i'm def gona go for that... great idea
Not yet I don't have anything new. I'm hoping someone on here will have the expertise to guide me on this though. I've only heard that a 35 shot won't damage our stock internals, I'm not sure on that. But if it were only used for racing say once a week or once every other week..? Also need to have the way to have it auto shot. I'll have to look into that digital controlled one that someone mentioned above.
Someone on here has to have done something like this before though smile

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Yes, your idea is entirely doable, not a bad idea at that.
I replied to another one of your posts, I am curious as to why you can only get to about 40 in 1st gear, I don't seem to have this problem in my gts. What year is your car?

Anyways, the solution is simple: go with a wet nitrous system of some sort, either a multi-port or an injector nozzle adapter type. either way, the system should be a wet system, that is, one that injects N2O and fuel into each cylinder, rather than the type that mist down the intake.

You will need a nitrous controller, Jaccobs, NOS and deadenbear all make excellent controllers, and while a ZEX system may work, it's not as flexible. A Venom VCN 2000 system would probably do the job, and has the computer included in the kit. Summit carries many different Nitrous controllers.

You will also need a WOT switch for the nitrous, no pushbuttons! the system must be engaged at wide open throttle, so your ECU goes into an open loop, if you engage nitrous at partial throttle, you can lean out and engine damage can occur.

You would install the kit as instructed by the manufacturer, install the WOT switch on your throttle body so it trips when the butterfly is wide-open. hook up the controller, and the WOT switch into your system, be sure to add an arming switch in a hidden location, this way, the nitrous can be disabled for daily driving. After all is installed, you only need to set the controller to engage the nitrous at the specified RPM levels, I would use a "progressive" setup, or, in other words, a setting that will gradually increase nitrous flow up to your desired point of cutoff.
if the controller doesn't support cutting off nitrous/fuel at a specific RPM, you can add an RPM switch and a relay to manually switch off the system at a given RPM, use an open-state relay, so if the relay cooks itself, the nitrous will die, rather than it continuing to spray beyond your chosen limits. you can always replace the relay later. If you want to be frugal, just let off the gas a bit at desired RPM to kill the nitrous.
To use the system, you would flip the arming switch, and mash the pedal to the floor, nitrous should engage at your pre-determined point, and gradually increase the fuel/nitrous flow until it reaches it's cutoff point, at which time either your nitrous computer, or the relay & RPM switch will stop they system from flowing nitrous beyond that point.
Definitely keep the jetting around 35 HP, unless you plan on decking the cylinder block and adding some beefier rods & lower compression pistons. BTW, A professional install is worth the money on a job like this.
-Rave669

Thanks Rave669. My GTS is a 2002. I hit that crazy engine cutoff at 7900 or so RPM, that's reason I can't get much higher in 1st gear.

Thanks for the detailed info. So I know I can program these to kick in at a certain RPM, but can you also till it to kick in at a certain gear and rpm? Reason being I don't want to hit the nitrous right as the lights drop. I'd like to wait till 2nd gear before it engages and runs it up to 6k RPM.
Also I wouldn't THINK of installing this myself wink

Last edited by Caerie; Jul 4, 2003 4:15pm.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
hmm i doubt that you can specify which gear... if you set it around 3-6k rpms it would hit at the right time in every gear... we don't have jack for torque and this would bump it up... how much would a project like this cost? i know it's gona be over 1k plus all the installing... can we say "another part time job"? at least for me lol, i'm having a hard time getting a body kit, imagine this

Originally Posted by CrazyD
hmm i doubt that you can specify which gear... if you set it around 3-6k rpms it would hit at the right time in every gear... we don't have jack for torque and this would bump it up... how much would a project like this cost? i know it's gona be over 1k plus all the installing... can we say "another part time job"? at least for me lol, i'm having a hard time getting a body kit, imagine this
I'm not sure on cost yet, i'm just looking at proof of concept and brainstorming right now. I'll take it to a local tuner shop and see what they can do for me once I'm educated on everything. So are we agreed that a 30 to 35 shot wouldn't hurt the engine for this? Not looking for the end all get all hold on to your seat nitrous hit wink Just a boost.

I checked out that Venom kit, the 2000+ Celica isn't listed as being supported. Is it?
http://www.venom-performance.com/nf/html/catalog/tv1.htm

Last edited by Caerie; Jul 5, 2003 8:55am.

dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
As previously stated you need to have WOT when the nitrous goes off, and you want to have the boost between gears so wouldn't that just rev your engine for a half second or something while the gears are changing? It would be better to program the nitrous to hit at second gear in my oppinion.