tru_Asiatik_Pride
Blue MnM
tru_Asiatik_Pride Jul 3, 4:18pm - #24800 

Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica

Southern California
cracking sound on the TSRM

well i have my exhaust for about a month now and im loving it
but my question is, yesterday after driving my car a couple of hours and when i park it(with the engine running) i was listing to my exhaust and there was a cracking sound coming from it, it wasn't a loud cracking but is noticable if you're standing by the exhaust. now is this normal????
Steven
ECelica Staff
Steven Jul 3, 4:51pm - #24801 
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Riverside, CA
when things heat up they expand. when your exhaust heats up, it expands too. This is normal, yours does it and mine does it.
VSGTS14
05 WRB
VSGTS14 Jul 3, 5:09pm - #24802 

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi

Milford, NJ
is it back firing?

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL
RicePowered
ECelica Staff
RicePowered Jul 3, 5:10pm - #24803 
ECelica Staff

South Jersey
Originally Posted by Steven
when things heat up they expand. when your exhaust heats up, it expands too. This is normal, yours does it and mine does it.

Mine does it too ... and if you listen real carefully after driving th engine compartment does it too ... it's more pronounced if you park in a garage
Steven
ECelica Staff
Steven Jul 3, 5:41pm - #24804 
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Riverside, CA
Mine back fires because I have no resonator on my mid-pipe and I disconnected the TSRM muffler part and replaced it with just piping as some of you know. When ever you replace your exhaust system, in most cases and certainly mine, there are times when the backpressure significantly drops and then rises again once you step on the gas and exhaust fumes are pressurized as they try to escape the piping. When you step on the gas, pressure builds, and then when you get off the gas instantly, the area of piping that should have been filled with pressurized exhausts fumes is now in a lower pressure than the rest. This creates a vacuum if you will, and may suck un-burnt gasoline into the headers and mid pipe when it is then ignited by flame leaving through the exhaust ports. To my understanding that is why cars like mine, backfire. Hope that helps...
Steven
tru_Asiatik_Pride
Blue MnM
tru_Asiatik_Pride Jul 3, 6:34pm - #24805 

Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica

Southern California
thanks guys i guess i have nothing to worry about, as far as backfiring mines does the same thing as steven, especially when i slow down then speed up again