Set Cabin Neons To Turn On When Door Opens
For those of you with footwell neons, LEDs, or any other type of lighting you wish to be activated just as the dome light is when doors open, than here you go:
(This install is safe as it does not use the power from the dome light. It taps into the ground wire of the dome light which in turn controls the on/off during opening/closing of the doors, as well as the dim off feature of the dome light and key off.)
1. Under the drivers side dash, remove the left kicker panel and locate a red wire(ground) and blue wire(power). These wires control the dome light and makes them turn on once the doors are open, and dim off after a few seconds after closing doors.
Note: This pictures wiring may differ from your car, as it did for mine. Could be gt/gts difference not sure, but anyways if you find more wires (i found 6 or 7), look for the red/white colored and blue/white colored one.
2. Strip a little section of the red wire so you can tap into it. Take some wire and wire it to one end of the switch.
3. Take the ground wires from the neons or whatever you're using and run them to the other side of the switch. (Note: The blue power wire is not used making it safer)
4. The power now must be directly wired to the neon or other light source. I tapped each individual neon into different fuses just to be safe.
5. Be sure to not cross the ground and power wires, and use electrical tape to prevent any mishaps.
**Your lighting should work now, turn the switch to "on" and then open your doors. After closing, they will stay on unless you put your keys in and dim off along with the dome light, creating a nice effect.
6. For those of you who would also like to use neons while driving, you can do this by wiring another switch. Tap into the ground wires coming from both neons, and wire them to one end of the new switch. Then take wire and ground the other end(i used a screw).
Now you have dual control over your neons and adds a nice touch to your car.