Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#190470 Jun 2, 11:49am
what do you think about carbon fiber hoods??? i am not totally sold on the idea, i mean they look sweet, but replacing your stock metal hood for a lighter weaker "carbon fiber" hood just doesn't seem to safe. If they where real carbon fiber then it would be a great idea, but the "carbon fiber" hoods that are available for our celicas are just fiber glass with a carbon fiber vinal lay over it. or i am just way off base on this whole ordeal?

Heaven is 8600 RPM's

ECelica Staff
ECelica Staff
Real Carbon Fiber Composite Hoods thumbsup

www.fiberimages.com [fiberimages.com]

safer? if my hoods gonna fly off my car into my windshield personally i would rather have the lighter one coming at me. but thats just me. btw can you get pics of your celica's exhaust? is that dual i see and where did you split it and stock muffler aftermarket? umm personally i don't like carbon fiber hoods unless your car is black. i just think its to out of place and looks ricer. im trying to fix my car up to look aggressive without the "type r" stickers and "celica" on the windshield type stuff. personally having a red celica with a black hood looks ghetto. it doesn't flow with the cars color at all and you can't get the color scheme to match no matter how much black and red you interplay with.

spilt at cat with two, 2.5 inch inlet x 4 inch out areospeed mufflers. and let me tell you it sounds like an indy car when you hit lift. I will post some pics when i get my celica back from the body shop.

Heaven is 8600 RPM's

hmmm, i have single kazuma right now and im looking to make it quieter if posible. was wondering if i bought a second kazuma and split it so i had 2 of the tiny ass mufflers? maybe that make it a bit quieter? just a thought. hit me up with some pics though. i would love to see it. also did you do it yourself or have someone do it?

i think they sell silencers for the kazuma, dont they?

Heaven is 8600 RPM's

yeah but it doesn't do anything so i hear.

1999 Mercury Cougar Turbocharged
the carbon hoods on the market are not a vinyl overlay on a Fiberglass hood.

The hoods are built in a mold

first resin is applied to the mold

carbon fiber cloth is laid into the mold and then squeegeed out saturating the fabric with resin and removing off the excess.

after the top layer carbon is worked out and saturated the hoods are backed with a Fiberglass backing to add rigidity to the hood. More expensive hoods would use additional layers of carbon applied diagonal with the previous layer to get the strength up.

After the top skin is completed a Fiberglass underframe is bonded and the taps for the hinges are installed and a latch is installed.

carbon fiber and Fiberglass hoods are fine and not a sacrifice in saftey. The front of the car is designed to crumple in an accident and the hood would just spiderweb and absorb the imapct as well.

many oem vehicles use Fiberglass hoods b/c of the weight savings over steel.

I was say that they are a vinal over Fiberglass to prove a point, they are not real carbon fiber hoods. Real carbon fiber you can see through when you hold it to the light. My question was do you think that it is safe to replace metal with "carbon fiber"

Heaven is 8600 RPM's

It is definately safe.

The hoods are real carbon fiber with a Fiberglass backing. Also you cannot see through multi layered carbon fiber. I work with composites every single day.