ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Rod Millen Motorsports Intake install Guide
By Jason Bly

Step 1) Taking the top and bottom halves of the airbox
[Linked Image]

1)First thing you must do before you begin tearing into this project is to remove the negative battery terminal cable from the battery. This prevents any bodily harm due to shock. I wrap the terminal cable in electrical wire to prevent accidental grounding of the cable.

2)Disconnect the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) wiring from the MAFS itself.

3)Remove MAFS from the top of the Intake housing. This can be done later also.

4)Next remove the sensor connected to the top half of the air box by simply sliding off the clip attached to
the sensor.

5)Remove the metal clip attached to the sensor.

6)Unclamp the three clamps shown on the diagram.

7)Loosen the Intake tube clamps shown on the diagram.

8)Remove two hoses (1/8" and 3/8") from the top half as shown in the diagram.

9)Remove 1/8" vacuum hose leading from the Intake manifold to the lower half of the air box and attach the provided 1/8" cap.

[Linked Image]

10) Remove the plastic trim that covers the bolts that attach the Bottom half of the Intake air box. You can do this by carefully pushing in the the three plastic clips that hold it in. This will allow you to lift the plastic trim off the chassis. This can be put back on later by cutting pieces of it to fit back on. But I left it off.

14) Unplug the blue sensor plug that runs underneath to a sensor that will be eliminated with the RMM Intake system it has a couple of 1/8" vacuum hoses running to it. This is sensor is attached directly under the air box.

11) To finish removing the bottom, unfasten the two bolts that attach the bottom section to the chassis of the car

12)Rod Millen's instructions on his site state to remove the fuse box around this stage of the installation but I saw no need to. If you feel you need to please do so. It is located just to the right of the airbox and says "fuse box" on it. It's held in place by one bolt onto the chassis.

13)Remove the lower pressure sensor that has two 3/8" vacuum hoses attached to it. One coming out the top, and the other out the side.

14) Unplug the blue sensor plug that runs underneath to a sensor that will be eliminated with the RMM Intake system it has a couple of 1/8" vacuum hoses running to it. This is sensor is attached directly under the air box.

If You have followed my instructions and diagrams and I also wrote this thing correctly you should be able to "manuver" the bottom half out of the engine bay. Please review these steps if its not wanting to come out.

Now that you have a gaping hole in your engine bay you can start to take out the tube going to the throttle body.

15)To remove the Intake tube that attaches to the throttle body you need to detach it from the clip that goes around the hoses underneath. I had to use a pair of plyers to remove it from the plastic clip that wraps around the hoses.

16)After you detach it from the plastic clip then you can pull the Intake tube off of the throttle body.

Now you should be ready to start attaching the RMM Intake pieces to your motor.

[Linked Image]

17)Attach the 70 mm silicon hose to the throttle body along with the two hose clamps that will be tightened around the throttle body and the RMM Intake tube.

18)Attach the Vacuum sensor support bracket to the clutch line bracket (which has a handy little threaded hole) with the longest setion of the bracket verticle and on top.

19)Now attach the 1/8" vacuum sensor to the top section of the vacuum support bracket using a washer (supplied) and the orginal screw that was used to attach it to the old clip.

20)The 3/8" vacuum sensor goes onto the bottom section and attached with a 6mm bolt.

21)Attach the MAFS to the RMM Intake tube with the wire harness towards the outside.

22)Reattach the Fuse box to the right if you removed it earlier.

[Linked Image]

23)Now slide the long end of the Intake into the 70 mm silicon hose and tighten up the clamp around the Intake tube. And reattach the MAFS wire to the MAFS sensor.

24)Attach the heatshield if you purchased one with the Intake. It bolts onto the factory airbox location on the front right and shares a bolt with a hood latch on the front left. Be very careful of the shield rubbing the coolant hoses that are to the left of the shield. This could lead to serious problems down the road if they get cut into by the shield.

25)Attach the Intake filter to the Intake tube. Make sure the Nipple for the 3/8" silver hose is towards the engine bay before tightening. Adjust the fit accordingly and tighten the hose clamp.

26)Now attach the 3/8" silver hose to the back side nipple on the filter. Attach the other end to the top of the vacuum sensor that is on the bottom of the support bracket. The top referring to the end where the old 3/8" vacuum hose used to attach to it. The black 3/8" hose that connects to the side of the sensor remains there throughout the process.

27)Adjust the Intake to make sure everything is in the proper location and fits correctly.

28)Attach the negative battery terminal.

enjoy!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
hi i would like to install an air intake. i checked with the Toyota dealership and they advised me that it will cost me around 700.00 (for the intake around 240.00) and the difference for the installation. they said that it's costly given that they will need to reprogram the computer. is that true. also i don't want to mess up my warranty. so do you think i should buy it and install myself or just go ahead and pay the whole amount. please answer me as soon as possible. thanks

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
install takes about an hour or so.

most speed shops charge anywhere from $40 to $80 for the installation.

on the 7th gen toyota celica, the ECU reprograms itself - ie, it adjusts to your new intake within the first 100 miles of driving

Installation really isn't as complicated as your dealership tried to make it sound.

The other RMM Intake install guide is much easier to follow...
https://celicahobby.com/forums/ubbt...orts-short-ram-intake-install-guide.html

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com