Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I belive there is a resin that overlaps the carbon fiber that covers the entire hood...my question is, when we wax or polish our car, can this also be applied on the carbon fiber hood?

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I don't see how wax would hurt it, after all, it is just a layer of wax you are putting on top of it.

Now as for polishing or using wax with grit, or even a high speed buffer, it would probably ruin it.

1999 Mercury Cougar Turbocharged
yes you treat it just like a painted surface. Depending on the brand of hood though it may not have been clearcoated which means it does not have any UV protection.

Most carbon hoods on the market come with a disclaimer printed on a sticker or pamphlet stating that the hood should be clearcoated by a body shop prior to installation.

The reason the hoods can be super glossy and still not be clearcoated is because they are built in non pourous mold where the resin is first applied and then the carbon fiber is laid in place and then the resin is rolled and squeegeed until the material saturates 100% and then more layers are applied until the part is completed. Because the mold surface is super smooth and non pourous when the part is released it will be super smooth and free of imperfections. Often when the hoods are completed the factory then uses a compound and buffer to go over the parts as well giving them the nicely polished edges.

Last edited by krazykustomz; May 31, 2004 1:46pm.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
good read thumbsup

I am getting a VIS Carbon Fiber Invader hood, and will be getting it painted to match the color my car. For this particular hood made by VIS, do you know if the body shop would have to clearcoat it first priort to painting?

thanks,

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Out of curiosity, what does it generally cost to put a couple layers of clear coat on the hood? I know people have done it.

[Linked Image]
"Everything that has a beginning, has an end."
-The Oracle

to clear a carbon hood should not be more than $150-$250

they just need to scuff it down and shoot it with clear and then wetsand buff it.

if you're getting it painted they'll have to primer it block it down, then spray a sealer and then the base/clear.

One issue you may run into on painting a carbon fiber hood is that some resins will expand in heat and you'll start to see the carbon weave pattern ghost up through the painted finish. I have seen this happen on a cougar kaminari carbon hood that was painted. It all depends on the manufacturing process and what resin is used when the hood is made.