Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Disable Seatbelt Guy Indicator Light (Light on Gauge Cluster)

Use the following at your own risk. It's always better to use your seatbelts. Enough said.

The "little guy" lite can be disabled by disconnecting the weight switch in the passenger seat. There is a connector for the weight switch under the seat, at the back near the inside track. It's a white female connector with a black male connector. The release tab is on the black connector and has a fairly long throw for such a small connector. DO NOT permanently disconnect the connector toward the front of the seat. This must remain connected for the "electric tension reducer" to function when the seatbelt is used. (The "pre-tensioners" are wired to the "center airbag sensor assembly" and have nothing to do with the seatbelt buckle switch.) The circuit to the weight switch is broken when the buckle is connected. Therefore, disconnecting the the weight switch will not effect the tension reducer or the airbags.

The drivers side is not as simple, since it does not have a weight switch. But the circuit is the same. There is only one connector under the drivers seat (for the seatbelt). It's toward the front. If you pull the drivers seat most of the way forward, you may be able to access the connector from the front without removing the drivers seat.

DO NOT LEAVE THIS CONNECTOR DISCONNECTED. Leaving it permanently disconnected will disable the electric tension reducer on the drivers side. What you need to do is disable the blue wire. I prefer not to cut the wire, rather remove the pin from the connector (if possible) and tape it back out of the way. Do not let this wire remain loose. It is 12v positive after the ignition relay and will short against the frame/ground! If you cut the wire, leave enough length on each end to splice it back together. That should disable the drivers side seatbelt lite.

FYI, the switching logic:

(drivers side only) seatbelt unbuckled: the white/blue wire and the blue wire connect; the red wire is open. seatbelt buckled: the white/blue wire and the red wire connect; the blue wire is open.

I've tried this on my car. I also put the wiring back since I use my seat belts and encourage others to do the same. One head-on collision is all it took form me.

Recently, I had a passenger in the car who actually asked what the blinking lite meant. Your seatbelt, I said. Oh, he said and ignored the suggestion.

About a mile of my driving convinced him to buckle up.

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
How would I tighten the seat belt so there is not much slack when it is not in use. Getting in and getting out is annoying when the slack of the belt is about 18" out. How would I tighten whatever it is I would need to tighten?

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
go to your toyota dealership - they should be able to take care of this without any problems.

seatbelts are ALWAYS a #1 concern for all dealers... because they know that if a car was sold with faulty seat-belts... and you get into an accedent, they can be sued up the arse!

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
This is a great guide, just installed a set of 4 point harnesses on the stock seats and this worked great. I also suggest that you always wear your seatbelt, but if you install a racing harnesses it is great because you don't have the light flashing on your dash. wave

Last edited by BOOOK; Apr 5, 2005 7:34am.