Print Thread
Rate Thread

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Installing a power antenna on a 2K Celica GT
By FourGig

Some dumb ass bean-counter at Toyota decided that our 2000 Celicas didn't need a power antenna. What were they thinking? If I wanted an non-retractable one piece antenna, I would have bought a Mustang.

This page shows how I installed a power antenna in my Celica. Follow this process at your own risk!! I am not responsible if you zap yourself, fry your amp, scratch up your interior, or screw up your car in any way!

The first thing you need to do is to go buy a power antenna. I bought mine at Kragen Auto Parts for about US$60. I'm sure you can get one just about anywhere (and probably for cheaper).

You will also need a Phillips screwdriver, a socket wrench with a 10mm socket, a voltmeter, a knife and electrical tape.
[Linked Image]

OK, the first step is to remove the panel that covers the trunk area, the trunk carpet, and the cardboard panel that covers the spare tire. The next step is to remove that useless plastic thingies in the middle of your car.

Pull out the two plastic pins. Then gently pull up on the entire piece.
[Linked Image]

The center piece is just clipped in by a few plastic pins, so it is pretty easy to remove.

[Linked Image]

Pop out the trunk light lens, pull out the light assembly and unclip the lead.

[Linked Image]

Unscrew the two plastic pins by the rear passenger seatbelt. You only need to turn the "screw" about half a turn.

[Linked Image]

Don't forget to unscrew the hook at the back of the trunk.

[Linked Image]

Unbolt the right side tie down "D" ring on the back trim panel. Pop out the plastic pin above it and unscrew the plastic pin in the middle of the back trim panel. Pull the back trim panel away from the sheet metal and the right-rear trim panel will start to come off too.

To totally remove the right-rear trim panel, you'll need to wiggle out the front lip that is under the passenger seat. Then just pull on the whole thing. It will pop right off.

[Linked Image]

To remove the original one-piece antenna assembly, unscrew the antenna. Then unscrew the silver base. I was able to do this with just my fingers. Unscrew the bolt that holds the antenna support (where the arrow is pointing) .

After you remove the old antenna, follow the instructions for installing the power antenna. The antenna I bought came with a metal support strip. I bent it quite a bit so that I could use the original support screw hole.

I grounded the antenna to one of the bolts that holds on the brake light assembly.

[Linked Image]

Pull off the floor trim beside the passenger seat. Just pull up gently.

[Linked Image]

Time to yank out the glove box. Open it up and unscrew the two tabs inside the compartment. They only need a half turn but it does take some force.

[Linked Image]

Unscrew a butt load (well, 5 actually) of screws/bolts. I pointed out 4 for you. There is one more at the bottom right that I couldn't fit into the picture.

[Linked Image]

[CONTINUED NEXT POST]

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
The glove box has two sets of wires attached. Unplug the left one.
I don't know what the wires on right side are for, but it's attached to the glove box via some sort of clip. It was a pain in the ass to detach if from glove box.

Note: I removed the clip from the glove box. I did not disconnect any of the wires.
[Linked Image]

Once you remove the glove compartment, you will be able to see the amp. There it is!
See the two bundles of wires plugged into the amp? You're going to have to mess with those.

NOTE: This portion assumes you have the premium stereo upgrade. If you do not have the premium stereo in your GT, you will not have an amp behind the glove compartment.
[Linked Image]

Before you start messing with anything, you're going to have to remove the small panel by your feet. Unscrew that plastic cap and pull out the panel.
[Linked Image]

Pull off these two headers.
Attach the constant +12V wire from the antenna to a constant +12V source. I attached it to the blue/yellow wire on the large header.

The +12V radio on wire from the antenna went to the red wire with 2 silver bands on the smaller header.

Use a voltmeter to verify everything before you start hacking into the wires!

Test out the antenna. If it goes up when you turn on the radio and goes down when the radio is turned off, you're done!
[Linked Image]

This is what my power antenna looks like retracted.
[Linked Image]

Antenna extended
[Linked Image]

Last edited by isaac; Apr 28, 2004 1:42am.

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

BIG thanks to FourGig & isaac for the post/link! thumbsup
i just finished installing the pwr. antenna today & it looks suh-weet! i tried to get a 2k3 Celica GTS pwr. antenna, but settled on a 31" mast & extra wires @ Checkers. Since i have the same car & sound package, install was a cinch!
i should've done this earlier. Too bad it took an a$$#ole stealing my S2000 antenna to get me off my butt & try this mod out. angry
Thanks again, guys! cool

Last edited by isaac; Oct 23, 2003 7:12am.