re: racer x motorsports
"Dont do it. Racer X is just a scam to make money. They gave out a lot of these so called sponsorships to a lot of 350z owners too.
You end up paying 80 bucks basicly for a club discount not a sponsorship. Its 53% of retail but who pays retail for parts. I never had to pay full retail just look around most places charge the same as racer x's discount.
Well heres an example of what happend to a 350Z owner in reguards to racer X sponsorship that was givin to him.
"Racer X, a company in DE, claims to sponsor people, and are targeting Z owners. This is because the Z is a new car and everyone wants to hook it up. They contact you if you submit an application, their website is www.racerxmotorsports.com.
Well, when you submit your application, it turns out that you are automatically charged $79.00 for an "account activation fee". They claim that you will only be charged if you are accepted, the trick is, they accept everyone! They will then call you and offer you a T-Shirt, Magazine, Stickers, and other little goodies, and tell you they will mail your contract out. Here are the guidelines to their "SPONSORSHIP"
Most the Z members will prolly be offered the "$10,000 / 52% Partial Sponsorship" under this you get:
-Up to 52% off all parts
-Free shipping of all parts
-$5,000/per year if car is damaged to reinburst your aftermarket (for 2 years, for total of $10,000)
-After 1 year of being on this sponsorship, you can apply for a FULL sponsorship where they pay for all parts and goods
-Any product you buy which is under $80 is free to you
-"Rack Labor Rate" on installation, which is $45/hour, cheaper if you go to their shop, if you go to another shot affliated with them, you get Rack Labor Rate
It turns out they really do most these things, but the part they scam you at is...
1) They require you to enter 4 shows a year, which YOU must pay for. What sponsorship company makes you pay to advertise? None. Entering a show as a car owner costs usually $100 and up. This mean you have to pay $400 or so a year to keep your contract active.
2) The 52%, is "UP TO 52%" off. Most parts are NOT 52% off! Generally they are about 30% off. Even that 30% off is off a raised price. For example, I asked for the Injen CAI
, on this site we have seen dealers offer it to us at $225 shipped. Racer X quoted me a price of $247. Another good example is Eibach Lowering Springs, I've seen dealers sell them for $200 shipped, Racer X sells them for $227.
3) When you tie 1 and 2 together, even though the prices arn't that bad, the amount you will save with them is going to be much less than what you end up spending on the shows.
When I called to get a refund on my contract, Eric, the man I spoke to tried everything to keep me interested. He gave me the following excuses.. (all listed below are exact words used by Eric)
1) We are here to help you out, you got a great car, we can offer you great products cheap
2) The prices I quoted you have an additional 30% off once I see you have a signed contract. (If this is the case, why would he give me 2 prices? Doesn't make sense. Plus, Once he has a signed contract in hand, I'm screwed!)
3) Don't you want to have the first really hooked up 350Z?
4) If you stay with us for 1 year, you can apply for a FULLY paid sponsorship!
5) Come on man, we're trying to help you out here! It's not easy finding a sponsorship!
6) The $79.00 cannot be refunded, but we can take 79.00 off your next order. (I was told it could be refundable by another worker named Scott, so they obviously don't know their company policy)
7) Eric kept telling me he works in the PARTS Department, and that the $79.00 was charged by the MARKETING Department, when I asked for the marketing department number, he kept repeating himself, saying "I'm in parts." Makes me believe there is no marketing department. Finally I was told to email "Wholesale@racerxmotorsports.com"
There you have it guys. If you feel as if you want to go through this, you can. Technically this is not a real scam, but it is extremely misleading. I hope this helped a few of you out there, because I went through a hassel of over 2 hours to figure all this bullshi* out. Good luck fellow Z members"
- from nc: