Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

I'm pretty happy with them, I posted some pics on my profile. But I think someone else on this forum mentioned the "train tracks" syndrome that is associated with the bulbs.

Unfortunately they were right cry

I'm too lazy to do the modifications required to get rid of the tracks. If anyone is planning on buying HIDs, I recommend PHILIPS.

Overall though, these things are sweet, I don't know how I lived with halogen for so long. I had MTECHS before and they are NO comparison. When I get the time, I'll pull my front bumper out and modify the headlight unit and stick the bulb in upside down, which should fix the tracks. BTW if you get PHilips you won't need to do all of that. It's because of the way McCullochs designed their bulbs, backwards from Celica's specs. confused

Price: $275, ebay.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
explain this train track issue please

[Linked Image]
RIP 97 Prelude

Here's a picture pulled from Tony's post from another thread. It shows the tracks (two dark lines on the ground that exude from the base of the car outward). It's not annoying in my opinion, but definitely something that people should know about before they get McCullochs.

BTW Installation took me 20 minutes. It's plug and play.

Pic:

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Paperheart, the train track can easily be fixed by turning the bulbs upside down. The "train track" is caused by the shadows of the return wires. The return wires MUST be facing down. I don't know why McCulloch have their wires facing up. thumbsdown However, to turn the bulbs upside down, you would need to modify the bulb base. It takes seconds to do with a dremel.

[Linked Image]
Really BAD reality TV is the reason I stopped watching MTV.

eek

That's it? Cool! Thanks Tony. rice

Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
Whoa... is paperheart a girl? That'd mean we're getting close to double-digits for number of female members. rofl

Anywho, nice mod thumbsup I wish I would have got the factory HID option.

I'm just a crosshair
I'm just a shot away from you

hey paperheart, where else besides EBAY can i find the mcculloch HID kit? And also besides the train tracks what else do you not like about the lights? I may be interested in a kit, have the money, but don't know who to go with. Any answer would be of great help. thanks

Originally Posted by Celica22
hey paperheart, where else besides EBAY can i find the mcculloch HID kit? And also besides the train tracks what else do you not like about the lights? I may be interested in a kit, have the money, but don't know who to go with. Any answer would be of great help. thanks

http://www.performance-cafe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_106&products_id=444

A lot of retailers stopped selling HID kits because they're illegal for *upgrades*. If they come stock then it's ok. I'm sure you can do a search on the forum and find some links, you can also try the link above. It's pricey, 500 bucks. Your best bet is ebay, from any person with a good reputation or feedback. That's what I did and I got a really good deal!

Other than the track issue, I have NO complaints! thumbsup I recommend everyone get HID! Freaking BRIGHT! I had a fellow Celica owner (I don't know if he's on this forum or not) come up to me last night and asked about them, he was impressed. I told him about tte train tracks and he said "omg i don't fuckin care that is sweet." So yes, no complaints other than that. BUT, like I said above, go Philips if you can. smile

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by paperheart
I said above, go Philips if you can. smile

Yup... I sold the Mcculloch and switched to Hella/phillips. thumbsup

[Linked Image]

thanks paperheart. I've asked around, and everyone told me that McCulloch's give them problems down the road. Supposedly the ballasts always burn out. Hey Tony, is the Hella ballasts/Phillips D2S? or D2R the ones we need? Also are they plug and play and is installation a breeze?

thanks

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I have Philips D2R. These bulbs are rated @ 4300K, which has the best light output. They are very similar to the H7. I used the stock metal clips to hold the bulbs down. And Hella ballast is one of the best.

[Linked Image]

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
I've had McCulloch's for about 5-6 months with no problems except the train tracks. But while Tony and I (mainly Tony laughsilly ) were installing the HID's we turned the bulb's upside down, the only thing we didn't do is paint the bottom of the bulb black to act like a "shield."

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Nice!