Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#15203 May 9, 2:41pm
2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Can anyone tell me the difference between a CAI and a Short Ram. I didnt find info about it. Your input will be appreaciated.
Thanks

Ones bigger than the other the cai sits by your driver side front tire and the shirt ram is real short. Cai gets more air I believe due to location. More air means more power

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
THe short ram keeps the filter inside the engine bay, so there's no risk of hydro-lock.( dont let that influence your purchase!) They're usually better for low end torque. Whrere as the CAI relocates the filter outside of the engine bay. THis is important for 3 reasons: the intake will suck in a lot more air(as turbo said), and the air is fresh and cold ( hense "cold air") while the short ram recirculates hot air from the engine. THis makes the CAI better for higher end power. Hope my babling made some sense smile , and I hope I could help.

-Greg

I agree with everything greg said with the exception of short ram being better for anything.. no matter what (low or high end torque) air density per volume is larger when air is cold, therefor an equal flow short ram will NEVER out perform a Cold air intake (and dyno proves this). No short ram posts anywhere near the gains of an AEM or Injen CAI in the celica.

Hydrolocking will ONLY occur if you submerge the intake COMPLETELY underwater and then step on the throttle... The key is, just keep in mind that you have a CAI and if you ever splash down in over a foot of water (for some ODD reason), just turn off your engine.

[ 05-09-2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: FX-MAN ]

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Great info guys..i really appreaciate it.

Originally posted by FX-MAN:
I agree with everything greg said with the exception of short ram being better for anything.. no matter what (low or high end torque) air density per volume is larger when air is cold, therefor an equal flow short ram will NEVER out perform a Cold air intake (and dyno proves this). No short ram posts anywhere near the gains of an AEM or Injen CAI in the celica.

Hydrolocking will ONLY occur if you submerge the intake COMPLETELY underwater and then step on the throttle... The key is, just keep in mind that you have a CAI and if you ever splash down in over a foot of water (for some ODD reason), just turn off your engine.
Some racers with turbo cars even inject water into the intake (close to the throttle body) when at full-throttle to keep temperatures down.
Water-injection kits. [Deal]

Scott
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (blue)
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (red)
2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (red)

I have heard of the ones that spray the intercooler, but not heard of injecting water into the actual intake.

Originally posted by FX-MAN:
I have heard of the ones that spray the intercooler, but not heard of injecting water into the actual intake.
Yep, spraying the intercooler will not keep engine temps down much. Water into the intake, mind you these are very small amounts will. If I can find the pictures or information I will post it.

Scott
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (blue)
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (red)
2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (red)

Actually I heard about this from a friend today, water injection, creating steam in the engine, which raises the engine pressure a bit and can give you power. He was telling me about an older VW engine that does this.