Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#14534 May 4, 12:34am
2002 Celica GT
2002 Celica GT
I have read several install guides for footwell neons but i want to make sure I understand this. I have 2 toucan mini-neon tubes, they came together, both connect to 1 "module" (as the package calls it). the opposite end of this small box has a +/- pair that lead to a cig adapter and an on/off switch.

I do not want to use the cig adapter, rather a switch I bought. Can I just snip off the cig adapter, and run the positive line to the cig fuse in the fuse box, and the negative line to the 1st post on my toggle switch. then a ground line from the 2nd post on the switch to a ground point?

Will this work? I know very little about power. This method seems very similar to that used at the site below:
http://www.clonegts.com/mods/neon_install/index.htm

[ 05-03-2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: 7th_gen_celica ]

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
yep it will work! See what I did was this...

my neon tubes that I bought both connected to this black module thing to power them, it was kinda like a fusebox for them, then from this small box, another wire came out the other side with a cig lighter adapter on the end. So I had my own switch also...
I cut the cig lighter adapter off.
Next, I placed the module thingy under the drivers side dash by using double sided tape that was supplied with it. Each neon was connected to it as usual. Then I took the other wire coming out of the module that had the cig adapter on it and attached them to the necessary post thing on the switch. Then I attached a wire to the grounding post on the switch and ran that wire through the firewall it's attached to my negative battery teminal with some kind of adapter that my dads Toyota dealer gave me for purposed like this. Then I ran the power post wire to the actual positive battery terminal, so the swich is always on and the neons can go on without the car on or turned on acc. I am still debating on whether I want to rerun the power wire to my cig lighter so it isn't always on, but I'll do that later. Hope this helps!

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL

2002 Celica GT
2002 Celica GT
It sounds like you have the exact same neon kit I have...

I tried exactly what I explained above and it works great! The reason I decided to get the power from the cig fuse rather than off the battery was beacuse I am lazy. Guess I also like the idea that I can not possibly forget to turn them off.

Thanks for the response.

i made a switch panel to put in my ashtry. i was wondering where is a good ground around that area? im putting the 2 power wires in the fuse like you said( in your picture) and the other 2 wires to the switch but i need a ground wire?

also my switch has a light will that light up if setup like in your diagram?

thanx

2002 Celica GT
2002 Celica GT
Originally posted by Bagz:
i made a switch panel to put in my ashtry. i was wondering where is a good ground around that area? im putting the 2 power wires in the fuse like you said( in your picture) and the other 2 wires to the switch but i need a ground wire?

also my switch has a light will that light up if setup like in your diagram?

thanx
thats not actuauly my install guide. its someone elses site. There is a pic [HERE] with the ground points inside the car. (very useful). As for the illuminated switch, there should be a 3rd post on the back of the switch for the power to the switch's light. you could probaly run a wire from that post to a switched fuse. (one that is only on at certain times, such as the cig fuse.) it would only light up when the car is on.

But I could be wrong... This is also new to me.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
where is the best place to get footwell neons?? what size/ price range is normal??

2002 Celica GT
2002 Celica GT
Originally posted by Chris McLean:
where is the best place to get footwell neons?? what size/ price range is normal??
I bought a pair of 10" tubes for 49.00 CDN at a local car audio/ricer accessory store rice

It can look tacky, but I like being able to cruise at night w/ the music cranked up and the lights on...