Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 5, 11:10am - #145291 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
one last underglow question

Ive got everything hooked up now with all connections going straight to the battery, not through any fuse box. What would i have to do to get them to flash when the car is locked/unlocked but still have control over them with the switch in the cabin?

[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 5, 12:42pm - #145292 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
bump

[Linked Image]
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Apr 5, 12:55pm - #145293 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
come on bro...it's only been a little over an hour & it's the early morning..we only have 117 ppl on.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 5, 1:07pm - #145294 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
come on bro...it's only been a little over an hour & it's the early morning..we only have 117 ppl on.
point being...i can only be on early in the morning so i try to get responces asap.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Apr 5, 1:15pm - #145295 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
i can offer a guess..i'm reall not familiar with wiring all that much.

anyway, if you can figure (or someone else can figure) out how your alarm attaches to your lights (i'm assuming it blinks the headlights as most alarms do), then you should follow a similar path.
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 678
celicatalbot
Senior Member
celicatalbot Apr 5, 1:21pm - #145296 
2003 Absolutely Red Toyota Celica GT
Senior Member
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 678
New York
You would have to splice into the brake wires. But they would only be on when you hit the break.

My car might be slow, but at least it looks nice!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 5, 1:22pm - #145297 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
i can offer a guess..i'm reall not familiar with wiring all that much.

anyway, if you can figure (or someone else can figure) out how your alarm attaches to your lights (i'm assuming it blinks the headlights as most alarms do), then you should follow a similar path.
yeah i figured it was something like that but im not all that familiar with wiring either. by the way, its the vip3000 or whatever toyotas top alarm is.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 5, 1:23pm - #145298 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
Originally Posted by celicatalbot
You would have to splice into the brake wires. But they would only be on when you hit the break.
huh?????????????? where did brakes come into the topic??

[Linked Image]
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Apr 5, 1:44pm - #145299 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by csheriff
Originally Posted by celicatalbot
You would have to splice into the brake wires. But they would only be on when you hit the break.
huh?????????????? where did brakes come into the topic??


he thinks your talking about taillights, not headlights.

(obviously headlights are not connected with the brake lights)
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 22
DoubleTap
Member
DoubleTap Apr 5, 4:27pm - #145300 
1991 White Toyota Celica GT
Member
1991 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 22
Ontario, Canada
Splice off the headlight flash wire, install a diode so that when you select neon on you dont get parking lights, through a swith to the neons...make sure you get a fuse in the line between neon and battery, closer to batt the better.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,669
ravertony
Specialist
ravertony Apr 5, 4:57pm - #145301 
2002 Super White Toyota Celica
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,669
MADERA, CA
It can be done, this may be long but the problem is i don't know the exact wiring in your alarm so i suggest searching for the wiring diagram or something...

First off you are going to create a (negative/positive) switch meaning that between the (negative/positive) wire the neons use for (negative/positive) you will place the switch. Okay, after the switch is out of the way you will have to tap into the alarm's parking light flash output and have that wire run to any part of the wire before the switch reaches it, and that should be it. It all depends if your alarm's light flash output is negative and positive. Im willin to draw a diagram for you since the above is hard to understand but find out where your alarm is located and if the alarm's light flash output is either negative or positive, okay.

hope i have helped
tony
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 5, 5:03pm - #145302 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
Originally Posted by ravertony
It can be done, this may be long but the problem is i don't know the exact wiring in your alarm so i suggest searching for the wiring diagram or something...

First off you are going to create a (negative/positive) switch meaning that between the (negative/positive) wire the neons use for (negative/positive) you will place the switch. Okay, after the switch is out of the way you will have to tap into the alarm's parking light flash output and have that wire run to any part of the wire before the switch reaches it, and that should be it. It all depends if your alarm's light flash output is negative and positive. Im willin to draw a diagram for you since the above is hard to understand but find out where your alarm is located and if the alarm's light flash output is either negative or positive, okay.

hope i have helped
tony
the alarm is located in the kick panel by drivers left leg. im i gonna figure out the polarity by the color of the wires?? does anybody have a wiring diagram of the toyota alarms?

[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 5, 5:04pm - #145303 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
Originally Posted by DoubleTap
Splice off the headlight flash wire, install a diode so that when you select neon on you dont get parking lights, through a swith to the neons...make sure you get a fuse in the line between neon and battery, closer to batt the better.
i almost understood that.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 874
drkramm
seabass
drkramm Apr 5, 7:32pm - #145304 
2000 black Toyota Celica GTS
seabass
2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 874
pa
yea im in electronics and that shit lost me

only way you can go the route with the headlights is if you use a timed relay (can get from radio shack) then this goes between the neon and the battery (which should have a fuse) and a wire from parking lights to the relay

so when the parking lights flash it turns the relay on for that preset amount of time (only a couple of seconds) and giving you the light when arm disarm car

thoguh they will also turn on for that time when you turn your headlights on but you cant get past that


there is other ways to do it but i would go this way

hey thats a 20 minute phone call
"if i have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
derek: do you know that non dairy cream is flamable
Jennie: ...derek..what did you do
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 874
drkramm
seabass
drkramm Apr 5, 7:36pm - #145305 
2000 black Toyota Celica GTS
seabass
2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 874
pa
im looking for the relays now casue i might have to do this now lol
this would work
http://www.smarthome.com/7279.html 22$

hey thats a 20 minute phone call
"if i have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
derek: do you know that non dairy cream is flamable
Jennie: ...derek..what did you do
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 874
drkramm
seabass
drkramm Apr 5, 7:38pm - #145306 
2000 black Toyota Celica GTS
seabass
2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 874
pa
http://www.drdetailshop.com/528T.htm 29$ this would be better

hey thats a 20 minute phone call
"if i have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"
derek: do you know that non dairy cream is flamable
Jennie: ...derek..what did you do
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 5, 7:53pm - #145307 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
i hate automotive wiring. just the word relay gives me a headache. ill tell you what, if you actually decide to do it, take pictures and notes and then maybe ill do it. 4 right now, im saying fuck it.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 22
DoubleTap
Member
DoubleTap Apr 5, 8:26pm - #145308 
1991 White Toyota Celica GT
Member
1991 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 22
Ontario, Canada
okay, when you hit the alarm dis/arm, the parking and head light flash, right? Now, there is plenty of current there to run neons (neons are low current devices). So install a splice from the line that flashes those lights to your neons. Now, this would result in turning your parking/head lights every time you turned the neons on. So, you install a "Diode" (two-element device that permits current flow in one direction only) (think LED without the light-emitting part) to allow current to only flow from the parking lights to the neons, not vice-versa. That will make the neons flash in time with the alrm flash (and any other time your parking lights flash)
Then you simply add a switch to the neon (+) line to turn the neons on/off without turning the parking/headlights on/off.
I could post a basic wiring diagram, but I dont really know how to post it here. As for finding which is ground and which is hot, buy a multi-meter ($20). Great for all electrical work.

If you hate automotive wiring, try aviation wiring. We have everything drom 12VDC to three phase 115 volt AC to deal with.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,669
ravertony
Specialist
ravertony Apr 5, 11:04pm - #145309 
2002 Super White Toyota Celica
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,669
MADERA, CA
I took the time to draw a diagram if the flash output from the alarm is negative and if you find out its a positive output just change all the negatives to positive and vice versa on the diagram. You will need a diode in this setup to prevent your neon switch from turning on your parking lights. By the way, place special attention to the stripe on the diode in the diagram. Its important if you know how diodes work. For info on diodes go to http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp it will help.


tony
1869917085-neonflash.jpg
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
csheriff
Senior Member
csheriff Apr 6, 10:13pm - #145310 
2002 Red Toyota Celica
Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 760
Wyoming
Originally Posted by ravertony
I took the time to draw a diagram if the flash output from the alarm is negative and if you find out its a positive output just change all the negatives to positive and vice versa on the diagram. You will need a diode in this setup to prevent your neon switch from turning on your parking lights. By the way, place special attention to the stripe on the diode in the diagram. Its important if you know how diodes work. For info on diodes go to http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp it will help.


tony
thanx tony, really appreciate the help. didnt actually expect anybody to sit down and make a diagram for me. im pretty sick right now but ill do that as soon as i feel better. thanx again.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 244
MICABLUE
Member
MICABLUE Apr 6, 11:10pm - #145311 

Member
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 244
Indianapolis,IN
Originally Posted by DoubleTap
okay, when you hit the alarm dis/arm, the parking and head light flash, right? Now, there is plenty of current there to run neons (neons are low current devices). So install a splice from the line that flashes those lights to your neons. Now, this would result in turning your parking/head lights every time you turned the neons on. So, you install a "Diode" (two-element device that permits current flow in one direction only) (think LED without the light-emitting part) to allow current to only flow from the parking lights to the neons, not vice-versa. That will make the neons flash in time with the alrm flash (and any other time your parking lights flash)
Then you simply add a switch to the neon (+) line to turn the neons on/off without turning the parking/headlights on/off.
I could post a basic wiring diagram, but I dont really know how to post it here. As for finding which is ground and which is hot, buy a multi-meter ($20). Great for all electrical work.

If you hate automotive wiring, try aviation wiring. We have everything drom 12VDC to three phase 115 volt AC to deal with.

pretty much how i made my fog lamps flash when i hit my arm/disarm
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 815
5280vvti
Senior Member
5280vvti Apr 7, 2:41am - #145312 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 815
CO
spineyes
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 22
ONEugene
Member
ONEugene Apr 7, 8:14am - #145313 
Member

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 22
Murrieta, CA
hmm...wat is you want to control the lights with your alarm remote. i know some remotes have some extra features, like how i have for the remote trunk. so how do we do that? use my remote trunk button to turn on the neons? because you know, we can't use automatic trunk open when it's a hatch. do i just find the extra aux wire? or just find the trunk wire? and do i use a diode? confused
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,669
ravertony
Specialist
ravertony Apr 7, 8:57pm - #145314 
2002 Super White Toyota Celica
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,669
MADERA, CA
Originally Posted by ONEugene

hmm...wat is you want to control the lights with your alarm remote. i know some remotes have some extra features, like how i have for the remote trunk. so how do we do that? use my remote trunk button to turn on the neons? because you know, we can't use automatic trunk open when it's a hatch. do i just find the extra aux wire? or just find the trunk wire? and do i use a diode? confused


The guy above wanted his neons to flash with his parkin lights but your talkin about remote control and your on the right path my friend. thumbsup I have a remote start with exra remote features like the pop trunk thing and you are right about our trunks are hatch so we cant use it so instead you can use it for something else like neons. I did it myself and its pretty sweet grin to be able to turn your neons on and off with a remote.

Yeah find out which wire the aux/remote trunk is at on your alarm and the polarity (+/-) and connect it according to the polarity so if your aux wire is (-) connect it to the neons ground wire and the positive wire from the neon should go to a power source. But remember you will need a diode if you want to have a switch in your car besides the remote and you may need a relay if the alarms output is too weak. Diodes and relays cost around a dollar so i'd say this a mod to go for. If you want more help PM me.

Tony
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 22
ONEugene
Member
ONEugene Apr 8, 4:50am - #145315 
Member

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 22
Murrieta, CA
thanks tony. thumbsup
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016