Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 43
Sid
Member
Sid Apr 4, 7:44pm - #144476 

Member
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 43
So Cal
Celica vs. Supra

I know that the celica has great handling(i think i heard best in its class), so I was wondering how the Celica stacks up to higher Performance cars like the Supra in terms of handling. Just curious... smile

dancin' to da eurobeat........
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,269
NorwayGT
Specialist
NorwayGT Apr 4, 7:45pm - #144477 

Specialist
2004 Dodge SRT4

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,269
Seattle, WA
the celica will outhandle a supra

was....5speed with i/h/e
15.41 @ 89.30mph 2.282 60'

is....04 srt4 stock
13.936 100.15mph 2.177 60'
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 753
BaTMaN_4
Senior Member
BaTMaN_4 Apr 4, 7:53pm - #144478 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 753
McAllen, TX
Originally Posted by NorwayGT

the celica will outhandle a supra


YuP... thumbsup
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
grcelica
Specialist
grcelica Apr 4, 8:45pm - #144479 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
NW, PA
and then get destroyed on the straights. but thats ok because its supposed to be that way.
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,619
LostAngel
Specialist
LostAngel Apr 4, 8:46pm - #144480 
Specialist

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,619
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by grcelica
and then get destroyed on the straights. but thats ok because its supposed to be that way.
Exactly, amazing how a '4 banger' can destroy 'badder monsters' on autox races!
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Apr 4, 9:16pm - #144481 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
the only things the celica has going for it as far as handling are:

1. low center of gravity
2. fwd
3. lightweight (2500lbs)

the supra, on the other hand has

1. lower center of gravity
2. lightweight (3500lbs)

however, if the roadcourse has lots of twists and drifting is a bonus..then the supra takes cake because of its rwd.
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
grcelica
Specialist
grcelica Apr 4, 9:19pm - #144482 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
NW, PA
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
the only things the celica has going for it as far as handling are:

1. low center of gravity
2. fwd
3. lightweight (2500lbs)

the supra, on the other hand has

1. lower center of gravity
2. lightweight (3500lbs)

however, if the roadcourse has lots of twists and drifting is a bonus..then the supra takes cake because of its rwd.


I doubt the drifting would be a bonus. Better to pull through a twistie then push sideways. The enormous Horsepower difference is the difference IMO.
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 982
Kim
GOD
Kim Apr 4, 9:20pm - #144483 
2002 Red Toyota Celica GT
GOD
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 982
Bellflower, CA
actually in most cases drifting is slower than grip driving.

damn you beat me to it
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
grcelica
Specialist
grcelica Apr 4, 9:28pm - #144484 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
NW, PA
Originally Posted by Kim
actually in most cases drifting is slower than grip driving.

damn you beat me to it



thumbsup thumbsup
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 100
gts2k
Member
gts2k Apr 4, 9:35pm - #144485 

Member
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 100
Ontario
drift is only for style rofl
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
grcelica
Specialist
grcelica Apr 4, 9:38pm - #144486 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
NW, PA
Originally Posted by gts2k
drift is only for style rofl


and replacing quarterpanels!! grin
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Steven
ECelica Staff
Steven Apr 4, 9:48pm - #144487 
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
It is NOT ONLY for style... Rally drivers drift to get their car around turns FASTER. It works if you do it right.

Originally Posted by gts2k
drift is only for style rofl
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 555
Vampyre
Senior Member
Vampyre Apr 4, 9:53pm - #144488 

Senior Member
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 555
British Columbia, Canada
Apperantly the Celica can take out the EVO 8 on auto-x and such events. Not too shabby eh?

~* Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep *~
- Nocturnal Supremacy -
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
grcelica
Specialist
grcelica Apr 4, 9:56pm - #144489 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
NW, PA
Originally Posted by Vampyre
Apperantly the Celica can take out the EVO 8 on auto-x and such events. Not too shabby eh?


EVO--AWD, mucho HP. Two cars with everything being equal EXCEPT front or rear drive, I believe the front drive will win in the twisties IF the rear wheel drive trys to drift. ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. Which wasn't the original statement anyway.
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 517
Krayze
Senior Member
Krayze Apr 4, 11:07pm - #144490 

Senior Member

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 517
Pittsburgh, PA
fwd is by far not teh preferred set up for handeling

too much front weight bias.

drifitng slows you down on asphalt.

rally drivers pwoerslide (difference) to keep speed on a lippery surface. watch them on asphalt they dont' drift there.

rwd is still teh preferred way to set yoru car up for best handeling.

why do you think the skyline has a rwd bias to its awd.

67 mustang fastback
289 v8
soon to have 5 spd
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 362
andrews
Member
andrews Apr 5, 2:12am - #144491 

Member
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 362
houston
a celica would own a supra on the corners? wow thats awsome! thumbsup

Injen RD cai
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Apr 5, 2:20am - #144492 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by Steven
It is NOT ONLY for style... Rally drivers drift to get their car around turns FASTER. It works if you do it right.

Originally Posted by gts2k
drift is only for style rofl


thank you, steven.

as i said it depends on the curves. if they can be gripped easily, then obviously drifting is not needed.

however, sometimes a track will have a SERIES of sharp turns..and drifting is a much faster way of getting around them.
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,454
Elec-FuYu
Specialist
Elec-FuYu Apr 5, 2:26am - #144493 
2003 Silver Toyota Celica
Specialist
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,454
B.C. Coquitlam
drifting is not totally slower than the other method...

it's not really call drifting but the car will turn faster if you can swing the tail of the car out of the corner with a little angle...
thus making a good turn without loosing many speed, and will accel faster out of the corner...

which i think celi can do it...but supra can do it more easily...

oh the other hand...drifting for show is another story...

I am a HID Maniac!!
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,304
My Sixth Gear
Specialist
My Sixth Gear Apr 5, 2:47am - #144494 
2003 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica
Specialist
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,304
Chicago, Illinois
can a gts take a non Turbo supra stock for stock.. just curious?

If you want peace... Prepare for War
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 145
Donegan
Member
Donegan Apr 5, 3:27am - #144495 

Member

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 145
JAPAN
A Celica serving a Supra on a GT track?

Ahahahah...
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,863
v3n0m
Specialist
v3n0m Apr 5, 6:13am - #144496 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,863
St. George, UT
supras are not great handleling cars. They take a lot of work to do 1G on the skid pad. Celica's can do 1G with simple bolt ons.
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Apr 5, 1:23pm - #144497 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by v3n0m
supras are not great handleling cars. They take a lot of work to do 1G on the skid pad. Celica's can do 1G with simple bolt ons.


don't get me wrong..the supra is a very nice car. but beleive me when i say: it's overrated.

it's supposed to be some sort of 'exotic'? please--its a front engine car..even honda/acura knows better than that. and as already mentioned..its not a great handling car and thats because its weight distribution is screwed just as much as the celicas (the extra 1000 pounds is what makes the supra evne less agile).
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,619
LostAngel
Specialist
LostAngel Apr 5, 4:21pm - #144498 
Specialist

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,619
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
Originally Posted by v3n0m
supras are not great handleling cars. They take a lot of work to do 1G on the skid pad. Celica's can do 1G with simple bolt ons.


don't get me wrong..the supra is a very nice car. but beleive me when i say: it's overrated.

it's supposed to be some sort of 'exotic'? please--its a front engine car..even honda/acura knows better than that. and as already mentioned..its not a great handling car and thats because its weight distribution is screwed just as much as the celicas (the extra 1000 pounds is what makes the supra evne less agile).

I agree with you when you say its overrated. Though, the Supra is a fast as hell car with mods. I think it REALLY got overrated when paul walker was 'slappin everything and their grandmas' in Fast and the Furious.
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
grcelica
Specialist
grcelica Apr 5, 9:24pm - #144499 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,073
NW, PA
Originally Posted by LostAngel
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
Originally Posted by v3n0m
supras are not great handleling cars. They take a lot of work to do 1G on the skid pad. Celica's can do 1G with simple bolt ons.


don't get me wrong..the supra is a very nice car. but beleive me when i say: it's overrated.

it's supposed to be some sort of 'exotic'? please--its a front engine car..even honda/acura knows better than that. and as already mentioned..its not a great handling car and thats because its weight distribution is screwed just as much as the celicas (the extra 1000 pounds is what makes the supra evne less agile).

I agree with you when you say its overrated. Though, the Supra is a fast as hell car with mods. I think it REALLY got overrated when paul walker was 'slappin everything and their grandmas' in Fast and the Furious.


"not granny-shiftin' like ya oughta!" lol, but don't rip the supra unless you've thrashed one about a bit. FEEL THE POWER!!
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 145
Donegan
Member
Donegan Apr 5, 9:31pm - #144500 

Member

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 145
JAPAN
Originally Posted by v3n0m
supras are not great handleling cars. They take a lot of work to do 1G on the skid pad. Celica's can do 1G with simple bolt ons.


Give me $10,000 and 3 months and I'll tell you which tunes out better.
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Apr 6, 2:51am - #144501 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by Donegan
Originally Posted by v3n0m
supras are not great handleling cars. They take a lot of work to do 1G on the skid pad. Celica's can do 1G with simple bolt ons.


Give me $10,000 and 3 months and I'll tell you which tunes out better.


if you want to compare $$'s...do it this way

buy a supra for 100,000.

buy a celica for 20,000.

spend an extra 80,000 on the celica to equal the price of the supra.

tell me what tunes out better.
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016