Look what I found.
2000-03 Toyota Celica GTS
Stock Weight - 2500lbs
Stock Wheel Weight - 22lbs each/without tires
The 2000-03 Toyota Celica's weigh approximately 2500lbs, dividing by the horsepower of 180, we get about 13lbs/hp.
So roughly every 13 lbs removed from the cars weight will add an effective 1 hp.
Gas weighs about 8lbs/gal so 16 gallons in the tank weighs 128lbs. If you have only 1 gallon in the tank, its almost a 7 horsepower equivalent difference. A passenger can make even a bigger difference, not to mention the drivers weight.
You can easily remove things like the spare tire and jack, the floor mats, the rear seats, interior panels and anything else.
Listed below are some easily removable items:
1. Passenger Seat (37lbs) - Removing the passenger seat is a very easy and effective way to give your Celica a small boost in power. The nice thing is that the seat is only held in place by 4 bolts.
2. Rear Seat (29lbs) - The rear seat is a little more complicated to remove than the passenger seat. When removing just remember where everything goes and it should be easy to put back in place whenever needed.
3. Rear Seat Cushion (10lbs) - The rear cushion should be removed at the same time as the rear seat.
4. Floor Mats/Front and Rear (6lbs) - This has to be the easiest weight reduction available for the Celica owner.
5. Tire Floor Cover (3lbs) - The tire floor cover is right underneath the rear hatch carpeting.
6. Spare Tire and Jack (32lbs) - Another easily removable item.
Total Easy Weight Removal = 117lbs or about a 9hp increase.
Intermediate Skill Weight Reductions
The weight reductions included below can even prove more effective than some of the reductions included above. However, once you start removing these items you are taking away from the cars overall appearance and in some cases its more predominent ammenities.
7. Air Conditioning (40lbs) - Removing the air conditioning will net you a reduction of about 40lbs. Be sure to remove everything from the engine as well as behind the dash. Should be completed by the experienced only.
8. Front Hood
(50lbs) - Replacing the Front Hood
with a lightweight fiberglass or carbon fiber Hood
is a great way to remove some weight around the front end of the car. Total weight reduction will be close to 50lbs or greater depending on the aftermarket Hood
you choose.. If you dont intend on replacing the entire fron Hood
you could also remove the sound dampener on the inside of the Hood
. This should help in cooling your engine a little.
9. Stock Wheels (22lbs each/replacement weight from 11lbs each) - Replacing the wheels is a must for anyone seriously interested in increasing there cars performance. The stock wheels are quite heavy and can be replaced with a variety of aftermarket models. We would suggest searching for lightweight wheels. Replacing your wheels with lightweight wheels will dramatically increase your cars acceleration. We suggest not going over 17 inches if maximum performance is what you desire to achieve.
10. Front Drivers Seat (40lbs/replacement weight from 14lbs) - The front drivers seat on the Celica can easily be replaced with a much lighter alternative A lightweight racing seat will save you considerable weight and will also be effective once you have added more horsepower to your car.
Total Intermediate Weight Removal = up to 188lbs or a 14+hp increase.
More Weight Reduction
Some of the things listed below can also be removed or replaced with lighter alternatives than stock.
Stock Flywheel - Can be replaced with lightweight aluminum flywheels or machined down in excess of just 13lbs.
Stock Steering Wheel - Can be replaced with lighter performance steering wheel with no airbag.
Passenger Airbag Removal - Can save some extra weight as well. (Not recommended for normal driving)
Interior Panels - Both the drivers side and passenger side front door panels as well as the rear panels can be removed to save in excess of over 40lbs.
Stock Speakers - With a weight of over 2 pounds a piece these can also be easily removed.
Rear Hatch Cover - This can simply be removed whenever needed. Weight is close to 6 lbs.
Replace Stock Exhaust - The stock Celica exhaust weighs considerably more than some of the aluminum aftermarket exhausts. We suggest going with the TRD
Wiper Motors - Although they are generally needed under almost all driving conditions they CAN be removed if need be although we do not personally recommend it.
Carpet - Removing the carpet as well as the carpet lining underneath will reduce the cars overall weight by close to 40lbs. Removing excess wiring and bolts and brackets will also net you a reduction of close to 10lbs.