Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#13918 Apr 27, 4:11pm
Anyone know what this might mean.
Its definatley coming from the rear right disc.
Should I replace the pads and/or machine the rotor?

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Sounds like metal on metal. You definitely need new pads. As for the rotor, It will take a lot of machining, so you may need a new one also. Depends on the damage done. Good luck.

i am having the same grinding prob. is yours like a pulsing grinding? like it grinds and stops grinds and stops really quickly? thats how mine is... i took it into the dealer i bought it from.. after 1 and a half hours they said it was break dust and they cleaned it. well needless to say its still doing it. im thinking that they think im an idiot and don't know anything because break dust doesn't make that noise. anyways im going back soon to get them "fixed" again and also to get the recall prob fixed. i want to fix my breaks myself but my dad tells me not to because then i void the warranty... w/e... good luck with ur prob.. later

GT300 body kit on, getting fitted, doing install myself.
pics comin as soon as my kit is here and painted...

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Jeremy, does it only happen to you when you first drive the car. Such as when it's cold, or first thing in the morning, or after the car has been sitting for a while? Same question to you Bigroller. If this is the situation, then it is normal. It is just leftover brake dust and rust and stuff. When you first hit the brakes it cleans it off so that is why it stops. Comprende.

its all the time.. i can hear it best when when im stopping from like 60-0 a lil faster than norm, and i hear it when i get around the 20 or 30 mph mark it starts. it is always making that sound now, just a lil more when i stop faster

jeremy #13923 Apr 29, 11:37am
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Ok, does it sound like metal on metal or more of a vibration grinding? Your rotor could be warped. Its either that, or you need new pads cause they are all the way down to nothing and the piston in the caliper (or the shims) are hitting the rotor.

its a metal on metal sound... and wouldn't toyota relize if i my rotor or whatever is warped?

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Depends on how well they looked at it. It only has to be warped just the tiniest amount.

Originally posted by Grand-Touring-Dan:
Depends on how well they looked at it. It only has to be warped just the tiniest amount.
Hopefully this can help some of you, probably not but I'll let it out their anyway, for those who havent taken their car in to be looked at.
A while back in my BMW I did some playing around in the gravel, I got a crapload of small rocks all messed up in my rear brake's and it made the most horrible noises. I was able to take the wheel off and knock all of the gravel losse with a rubber mallet and a screwdriver. If your brakes still have material on them, this could be the probelm, if not get your brake's/rotors checked out. Good luck!

[ 04-29-2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: awdturbo ]

Scott
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (blue)
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (red)
2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (red)

All break pads have a small piece of metal in them towards the base.. this is there ON PURPOSE, to cause the sound you are hearing as a warning.. once you start to hear it all the time YOU NEED NEW PADS VERY BADLY and should not be driving your car. You are risking actually DROPPING the break pads out of your car and losing your break fluid causing ALL breaks (even your emergency break) to fail.

How do I know this? In college, I was pretty broke, so I never took my car in (my accord LXi), the breaks started to squeak when I stepped on the break, then all the time, then one day PING and no breaks (I learned the Ping was what was left of my break pad hitting the wheel well).. I almost killed myelf, luckily I was on the highway on a flat in the middle of the afternoon...

Go get your pads replaced or it will cost you WAY more money than just pads..

[ 04-29-2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: FX-MAN ]

ive been driving with this noise for prolly 2 and a half monthes now. i took it in like 2 monthes ago... break dust they said.

Yup One of my pads was toast.
And I replaced all the rear pads.
The celica has a drum type parking brake with the small calipers in the rear for the pedal.
I think one of the pins that the pads slide on
was bent causing the uneven pad wear. It made a
nasty pulsing grinding noise and I actually got a lot better at downshifting cause I knew the brakes needed work. The Pad on the rear right caliper had about 1mm of brake compond on it!

ECelica Staff
ECelica Staff
shocked shocked