Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 21, 2:23pm - #130845 
Headlight Painting Question...

What kind of paint do you guys recommend for this job? Have the week off for spring break, so I think I'm gonna do it. You guys recommend spray painting it on, or painting it on with a brush?

Also, how many coats should be put on, and do I need a top coat on it to seal it? If so, what should be used for that?

I looked in the install guides for this project, and they didn't really mention what type of paint should be used. They just said that it should withstand a few hundred degrees.

Would the paint have to be purchased from a body shop, or could I just go to a Homo Depot or something?

Thanks.


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Mar 21, 2:24pm - #130846 
1500 degree paint. called high-heat paint..you can get it virtually anywhere paint is sold.

i would use 2 coats. 3 tops.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 21, 2:43pm - #130847 
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
1500 degree paint. called high-heat paint..you can get it virtually anywhere paint is sold.

i would use 2 coats. 3 tops.
Ya think I should seal it with a clear coat or something, or is that not necessary?

Also, I notice that the install guide doesn't call for you to sand down the inside of the lights before you paint them. Wouldn't sanding them down with a really fine paper let the paint adhere better?

One last thing, do you think that any silver paint would match my silver car correctly, or would there be a noticable color contrast? Should I brush the paint on, or would spraying work?


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Mar 21, 2:51pm - #130848 
Originally Posted by slidr
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
1500 degree paint. called high-heat paint..you can get it virtually anywhere paint is sold.

i would use 2 coats. 3 tops.
Ya think I should seal it with a clear coat or something, or is that not necessary?

Also, I notice that the install guide doesn't call for you to sand down the inside of the lights before you paint them. Wouldn't sanding them down with a really fine paper let the paint adhere better?

One last thing, do you think that any silver paint would match my silver car correctly, or would there be a noticable color contrast? Should I brush the paint on, or would spraying work?


you can add clearcoat if you want (it own't hurt) but it's not axactly needed because they're not going to get scratched inside the headlight housing.

sanding makes sense and it can't hurt any.

i would recommend taking a nice, clear pic of your car and brining it to a home depot (or wherever there is a good supply of high-heat paint) and comparing the colors as closely as possible. it doesnt have to be exact because the light will be bent from the plastic of the headlight housing so it'll look find. just get it as close as you can and you'll be allright thumbsup

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 21, 2:53pm - #130849 
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
Originally Posted by slidr
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
1500 degree paint. called high-heat paint..you can get it virtually anywhere paint is sold.

i would use 2 coats. 3 tops.
Ya think I should seal it with a clear coat or something, or is that not necessary?

Also, I notice that the install guide doesn't call for you to sand down the inside of the lights before you paint them. Wouldn't sanding them down with a really fine paper let the paint adhere better?

One last thing, do you think that any silver paint would match my silver car correctly, or would there be a noticable color contrast? Should I brush the paint on, or would spraying work?


you can add clearcoat if you want (it own't hurt) but it's not axactly needed because they're not going to get scratched inside the headlight housing.

sanding makes sense and it can't hurt any.

i would recommend taking a nice, clear pic of your car and brining it to a home depot (or wherever there is a good supply of high-heat paint) and comparing the colors as closely as possible. it doesnt have to be exact because the light will be bent from the plastic of the headlight housing so it'll look find. just get it as close as you can and you'll be allright thumbsup
I think I have some touch-up paint, so I'll just let them match the paint to that.

Does the paint have to be brushed on?


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Mar 21, 2:56pm - #130850 
Originally Posted by slidr
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
Originally Posted by slidr
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
1500 degree paint. called high-heat paint..you can get it virtually anywhere paint is sold.

i would use 2 coats. 3 tops.
Ya think I should seal it with a clear coat or something, or is that not necessary?

Also, I notice that the install guide doesn't call for you to sand down the inside of the lights before you paint them. Wouldn't sanding them down with a really fine paper let the paint adhere better?

One last thing, do you think that any silver paint would match my silver car correctly, or would there be a noticable color contrast? Should I brush the paint on, or would spraying work?


you can add clearcoat if you want (it own't hurt) but it's not axactly needed because they're not going to get scratched inside the headlight housing.

sanding makes sense and it can't hurt any.

i would recommend taking a nice, clear pic of your car and brining it to a home depot (or wherever there is a good supply of high-heat paint) and comparing the colors as closely as possible. it doesnt have to be exact because the light will be bent from the plastic of the headlight housing so it'll look find. just get it as close as you can and you'll be allright thumbsup
I think I have some touch-up paint, so I'll just let them match the paint to that.

Does the paint have to be brushed on?


unless you feel like taping up the whole headlight assemly..brushing is the best technique.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 21, 3:02pm - #130851 
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
Originally Posted by slidr
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
Originally Posted by slidr
[quote=sPeEd4tHeNeEd]1500 degree paint. called high-heat paint..you can get it virtually anywhere paint is sold.

i would use 2 coats. 3 tops.
Ya think I should seal it with a clear coat or something, or is that not necessary?

Also, I notice that the install guide doesn't call for you to sand down the inside of the lights before you paint them. Wouldn't sanding them down with a really fine paper let the paint adhere better?

One last thing, do you think that any silver paint would match my silver car correctly, or would there be a noticable color contrast? Should I brush the paint on, or would spraying work?


you can add clearcoat if you want (it own't hurt) but it's not axactly needed because they're not going to get scratched inside the headlight housing.

sanding makes sense and it can't hurt any.

i would recommend taking a nice, clear pic of your car and brining it to a home depot (or wherever there is a good supply of high-heat paint) and comparing the colors as closely as possible. it doesnt have to be exact because the light will be bent from the plastic of the headlight housing so it'll look find. just get it as close as you can and you'll be allright thumbsup
I think I have some touch-up paint, so I'll just let them match the paint to that.

Does the paint have to be brushed on?


unless you feel like taping up the whole headlight assemly..brushing is the best technique. [/quote]Thanks. I was just worried about streaks.


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Mar 21, 3:05pm - #130852 
Originally Posted by slidr
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
Originally Posted by slidr
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
[quote=slidr][quote=sPeEd4tHeNeEd]1500 degree paint. called high-heat paint..you can get it virtually anywhere paint is sold.

i would use 2 coats. 3 tops.
Ya think I should seal it with a clear coat or something, or is that not necessary?

Also, I notice that the install guide doesn't call for you to sand down the inside of the lights before you paint them. Wouldn't sanding them down with a really fine paper let the paint adhere better?

One last thing, do you think that any silver paint would match my silver car correctly, or would there be a noticable color contrast? Should I brush the paint on, or would spraying work?


you can add clearcoat if you want (it own't hurt) but it's not axactly needed because they're not going to get scratched inside the headlight housing.

sanding makes sense and it can't hurt any.

i would recommend taking a nice, clear pic of your car and brining it to a home depot (or wherever there is a good supply of high-heat paint) and comparing the colors as closely as possible. it doesnt have to be exact because the light will be bent from the plastic of the headlight housing so it'll look find. just get it as close as you can and you'll be allright thumbsup
I think I have some touch-up paint, so I'll just let them match the paint to that.

Does the paint have to be brushed on?


unless you feel like taping up the whole headlight assemly..brushing is the best technique. [/quote]Thanks. I was just worried about streaks. [/quote]

just do your best. the softer the brush the better. also, minor streaks won't show...but i would still try my best not to get any.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 21, 9:16pm - #130853 
Got two cans, two different colors. One can matches my car, and the other is a metallic shiny color. I think I'm gonna go with that because I don't know of anyone else who has it, and if it looks stupid, I'll just cover it with vinyls.


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Mar 21, 11:12pm - #130854 
Originally Posted by slidr
Got two cans, two different colors. One can matches my car, and the other is a metallic shiny color. I think I'm gonna go with that because I don't know of anyone else who has it, and if it looks stupid, I'll just cover it with vinyls.


sounds like a good idea.

best of luck and let me know how it goes thumbsup as always, pics whenever you get a chance would be awesome

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 22, 2:05am - #130855 
I'm planning on doing it tomorrow night, so I will likely post pics on Wednesday.


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Mar 22, 5:56am - #130856 
Originally Posted by slidr
I'm planning on doing it tomorrow night, so I will likely post pics on Wednesday.


awesome, lemme know how relatively easy/difficult the install was..i'd love to try but i'm scared of it somewhat.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 22, 7:07pm - #130857 
Ok guys, I need some opinions before I paint them later tonight.

I have two cans of spray paint picked out.

One matches the color of my car (silver).

And the other is a cool looking glossy and reflective metallic light silver (platinum in color).

I'm thinking of the metallic platinum, but I'm not sure. I will paint it that, and paint over it with the silver if I don't like it.



I'm going to paint the top of the interior plastic because I don't like the ribbed look that I would get if I were to paint the bottom.
Since I am painting the top, that means that I won't have to cover the bottom up, right? Could I just paint both the top and the bottom, and just spray the whole thing? I don't believe that painting the top and bottom will hurt anything, will it?







Here is the pic of the plastic piece that I am talking about...


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 22, 7:08pm - #130858 
Sorry, here it is...

1869890257-paintedlights11.sized.jpg

Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 22, 7:46pm - #130859 
TTT


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 416
GTStick
Senior Member
GTStick

Senior Member
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 416
New York
Mar 22, 8:00pm - #130860 
you should be fine as long as you have good paint thumbsup good luck with the painting

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 22, 8:08pm - #130861 
Originally Posted by slidr
Ok guys, I need some opinions before I paint them later tonight.

I have two cans of spray paint picked out.

One matches the color of my car (silver).

And the other is a cool looking glossy and reflective metallic light silver (platinum in color).

I'm thinking of the metallic platinum, but I'm not sure. I will paint it that, and paint over it with the silver if I don't like it.



I'm going to paint the top of the interior plastic because I don't like the ribbed look that I would get if I were to paint the bottom.
Since I am painting the top, that means that I won't have to cover the bottom up, right? Could I just paint both the top and the bottom, and just spray the whole thing? I don't believe that painting the top and bottom will hurt anything, will it?







Here is the pic of the plastic piece that I am talking about...
But what color?


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Mar 22, 10:22pm - #130862 
painting both the top and bottom won't hurt anything. as long as its high temp paint it won't melt, catch on fire, streak, crack, etc. thumbsup

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,367
10celica10
Who's yo Daddy?
10celica10
2000 Silver Toyota Celica GT
Who's yo Daddy?
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,367
Tacoma/Seattle, WA
Mar 23, 2:17am - #130863 
id say do the platnum one, if it looks good keep it and if it doesnt you can always paint over it! you can take a pic when its done too then we can give you ideas from there!

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 699
KULOD
Senior Member
KULOD

Senior Member
00 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 699
LIL RHODY
Mar 23, 2:21am - #130864 
i used krylon fusion paint...few coats..clera coats..start with a spray adhesive...worked for me thumbsup

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Mar 23, 6:10am - #130865 
Originally Posted by KULOD
i used krylon fusion paint...few coats..clera coats..start with a spray adhesive...worked for me thumbsup


eek those are some VERY nide headlights thumbsup


**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered



Mar 23, 6:24am - #130866 
id say thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 23, 6:18pm - #130867 
Anyone else know how I can get the headlights apart without using an oven?

First off, the oven is too small, and the door won't close all the way with it in there.

Second, the towel that the headlight was on began to burn, so I just took it out before the whole thing caught.


Any ideas? Could I just use a soldering iron to melt the glue and just pry it open?


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 104
expinch
Member
expinch
2001 Blue Toyota Celica GT
Member
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 104
Diamondhead, MS
Mar 23, 6:52pm - #130868 
Quote:
Anyone else know how I can get the headlights apart without using an oven?

First off, the oven is too small, and the door won't close all the way with it in there.

Second, the towel that the headlight was on began to burn, so I just took it out before the whole thing caught.


Any ideas? Could I just use a soldering iron to melt the glue and just pry it open?


I was thinking the exact same thing. I can barely fit a turkey in my oven, a headlight would have no chance. I also foresaw the towel burning problem, and saved myself the agony of burning my condo down. wink

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 23, 7:04pm - #130869 
Quote:
Anyone else know how I can get the headlights apart without using an oven?

First off, the oven is too small, and the door won't close all the way with it in there.

Second, the towel that the headlight was on began to burn, so I just took it out before the whole thing caught.


Any ideas? Could I just use a soldering iron to melt the glue and just pry it open?


I was thinking the exact same thing. I can barely fit a turkey in my oven, a headlight would have no chance. I also foresaw the towel burning problem, and saved myself the agony of burning my condo down. wink [/quote]Yeah, well I found out the hard way. grin


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Mar 23, 9:35pm - #130870 
Gonna try and use a space heater to seperate these babies.


Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 416
GTStick
Senior Member
GTStick

Senior Member
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 416
New York
Mar 23, 9:53pm - #130871 
Originally Posted by slidr
Gonna try and use a space heater to seperate these babies.

good luck! ovens are definately a bitch

Join the conversation - Register Now or Log In to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Member Spotlight
ChiNeyBwoy
ChiNeyBwoy
2000 Toyota Celica
Ft. Lauderdale Florida

Posts: 254
Joined: July 2004
Thanks: Ray for hookin me up
Random: Got VVTL-i?
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Recent Topics
E-brake and seized brake caliper
by osirhc17. 04/27/2017 10:27 AM
TradingGTS for GT what should I know.
by GTS25430. 04/24/2017 5:19 PM
Does 01' corolla struts swap in an 01' celica GT?
by Frostysnowman92. 04/24/2017 1:22 PM
WTB: 00-02 amp bypass harness
by MJ00GTS. 04/18/2017 7:36 PM
Does not seem to be much activity for the 5th gens???
by Coop301. 04/18/2017 7:51 AM
Cold wet weather hesitation
by GTS25430. 04/17/2017 6:15 AM
00-02 premium 8spkr 2din gps solutions?
by MJ00GTS. 04/17/2017 2:24 AM
WTB: valve assy, vacuum switch
by hydraea. 04/15/2017 5:32 PM
Customize Your Toyota Celica Privacy Policy · About · Contact
Privacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2017
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Snapshot build 20170416)