Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 601
Rick
Senior Member
Rick Mar 20, 5:50pm - #130145 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 601
Texas
Radar Detectors

Hey, i was wonderin...are there any good but cheap radar detectors on the market anywhere?? All of them i see are like over 200. Do they really work all that good? Will cops think your speeding if you have one? I know they are illegal in some states, but im in Texas. Please tell me if yall know of some that work well and are not too expensive. List websights if you can. Thanks
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
VSGTS14
05 WRB
VSGTS14 Mar 20, 5:54pm - #130146 

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
Milford, NJ
you can't get a good one for cheap...if you want it to work, then you have to pay. grin

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,917
tru_Asiatik_Pride
Blue MnM
tru_Asiatik_Pride Mar 20, 6:51pm - #130147 

Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,917
Southern California
Originally Posted by VSGTS14

you can't get a good one for cheap...if you want it to work, then you have to pay. grin

yup no such thing as good AND cheap
personally if i was a cop i would think you speed a lot if i see you with a detector i mean why do you need one if you dont spineyes
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 753
BaTMaN_4
Senior Member
BaTMaN_4 Mar 20, 6:54pm - #130148 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 753
McAllen, TX
2 nights ago i was coming back from Harlingen in south Texas and i was with my friend with a Cooper S and we were both doing about 100 in a 65, he had a Corbra radar that cost him about $100 or so, but it was the best Cobra radar and i have a $300 Passport 8500...so anyways we are both speeding and then out of nowhere my starts going off with a K band which those are Highpatrols down here, so i let off the gas and give my friend a flash with the high beams but like usual he says his radar is better and keeps goin, i backed off till @70 and way further up ahead i see cop lights turn on and the Cooper getting stopped rofl, plus he almost got arrested because we were in a construction zone but the cop was cool about it. When he got home he callled me and i was pissed and told me the radar went off and he started slowing down but didnt have enough time to get to speed limit. Soo the more you pay the better detection you get thumbsup
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 753
BaTMaN_4
Senior Member
BaTMaN_4 Mar 20, 6:58pm - #130149 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 753
McAllen, TX
Originally Posted by BaTMaN_4
2 nights ago i was coming back from Harlingen in south Texas and i was with my friend with a Cooper S and we were both doing about 100 in a 65, he had a Corbra radar that cost him about $100 or so, but it was the best Cobra radar and i have a $300 Passport 8500...so anyways we are both speeding and then out of nowhere my starts going off with a K band which those are Highpatrols down here, so i let off the gas and give my friend a flash with the high beams but like usual he says his radar is better and keeps goin, i backed off till @70 and way further up ahead i see cop lights turn on and the Cooper getting stopped rofl, plus he almost got arrested because we were in a construction zone but the cop was cool about it. When he got home he callled me and i was pissed and told me the radar went off and he started slowing down but didnt have enough time to get to speed limit. Soo the more you pay the better detection you get thumbsup


Got some typos, but "Highway Patrols" and "he" was pissed not me thumbsup
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,917
tru_Asiatik_Pride
Blue MnM
tru_Asiatik_Pride Mar 20, 6:59pm - #130150 

Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,917
Southern California
Originally Posted by BaTMaN_4

2 nights ago i was coming back from Harlingen in south Texas and i was with my friend with a Cooper S and we were both doing about 100 in a 65, he had a Corbra radar that cost him about $100 or so, but it was the best Cobra radar and i have a $300 Passport 8500...so anyways we are both speeding and then out of nowhere my starts going off with a K band which those are Highpatrols down here, so i let off the gas and give my friend a flash with the high beams but like usual he says his radar is better and keeps goin, i backed off till @70 and way further up ahead i see cop lights turn on and the Cooper getting stopped rofl, plus he almost got arrested because we were in a construction zone but the cop was cool about it. When he got home he callled me and i was pissed and told me the radar went off and he started slowing down but didnt have enough time to get to speed limit. Soo the more you pay the better detection you get thumbsup

rofl rofl kinda proves my point...
detectors = people tend to speed tongue
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,034
CeLlYgT04
Specialist
CeLlYgT04 Mar 20, 7:00pm - #130151 

Specialist

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,034
Orange County, Ca
Definately don't go cheap if you plan to buy a radar detector...

Go with a Valentine One, or Passport 8500
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,408
CelicaRacer05
Specialist
CelicaRacer05 Mar 21, 7:10am - #130152 

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,408
Englewood, CO
Originally Posted by tru_Asiatik_Pride
Originally Posted by VSGTS14
you can't get a good one for cheap...if you want it to work, then you have to pay. grin

yup no such thing as good AND cheap
personally if i was a cop i would think you speed a lot if i see you with a detector i mean why do you need one if you dont spineyes


I see the weirdest cars with radar detectors, i see these huge ass suv's and pickups that arent even modified... though i do see the common eruo import with a radar detector... i had a cobra brand new last summer, and now i have a Passport 8500, best i have ever used, and i got it used (i bet it was stolen) but it only cost me 50 bucks at a pawn shop...

You can find good deals at pawn shops... lol!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,030
RevMonster
Masta OC
RevMonster Mar 21, 7:18am - #130153 

Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,030
Orange County, Ca
Yeah, if you're going to get one, get a good one. I have a Cobra that cost a little under $100. I wish now that I would have just got an Escort for a bit more. Mine does pick up legit speed traps, but it doesn't always give you a ton of warning. Also, you can't disable the damn X-band alarts, which mean jack out here in SoCal. Everytime that I drive by a McDonalds the thing goes off.

I'm just a crosshair
I'm just a shot away from you
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 772
CelicaPrincess
Senior Member
CelicaPrincess Mar 21, 8:03am - #130154 
2001 Liquid Silver Toyota Celica GT
Senior Member
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 772
South Florida
You can't go wrong with Valentine one thumbsup But it will cost a little more than $200...maybe you should try looking for a used one on ebay.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 601
Rick
Senior Member
Rick Mar 21, 8:15am - #130155 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 601
Texas
Alright thanks, i think im gonna go with the valentine one. I went to the website, it seems pretty nice...it has a back attenna which is nice too. Thanks for the posts.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 329
AznKhaos
Member
AznKhaos Mar 24, 8:29am - #130156 
2003 Spectra Mica Blue Toyota Celica GT
Member
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 329
Central California
i got one of them whistler ones that one of my freinds gave me..i think it works ok..too bad it just doesnt tell if theres a cop around..thats only bad things about them i think..

it doesnt matter wat u drive or who u driving against its all about how you drive
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 601
Rick
Senior Member
Rick Apr 1, 12:25am - #130157 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 601
Texas
What do yall think about passports? I think valentine ones are a little too expensive. If yall have one, do yall think it works pretty well? or is a valentine one like supremely better then the passport.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 753
BaTMaN_4
Senior Member
BaTMaN_4 Apr 1, 5:05am - #130158 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 753
McAllen, TX
Originally Posted by Trick
What do yall think about passports? I think valentine ones are a little too expensive. If yall have one, do yall think it works pretty well? or is a valentine one like supremely better then the passport.


I got one and its level is like the Valentine, IMO its better because its prety much the same thing and its cheaper, i have the Passport 8500 and since i got it luckly (dont want to jynx it)i haven't gotten a ticket. Highly recomend the radar, you will be happy if you buy it thumbsup
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 97
2K4Celica
Member
2K4Celica Apr 2, 2:32pm - #130159 
2004 Silver Toyota Celica GT
Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 97
Atlanta, GA
Here's what I don't get...

I have a radar detector I never use anymore. Why? Pretty much 100% of the cops here in Atlanta all park and use laser. I went for well over a year without that thing going off. Then it went off once. As I was being shot with the laser. Yeah, that helps a lot.

My question would be, since laser is just about all that matters anymore, are there good detectors that will detect laser well in advance? And I'm not talking about it sensing somone being shot two cars in front of you either. I won't bother unless I can get one actually worth using.

~ 2004 Silver GT
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 460
theretiredpimp
Senior Member
theretiredpimp Apr 11, 2:20am - #130160 

Senior Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 460
Camden, NJ
The Valentine one detector has to radar antennas and two laser sensors as well. One is at the front of the detector while the other antenna & laser is at the rear, thus scanning all around your car and precisely locating each radar threat. Got that straight off the website. Check it out yourself. thumbsup

Originally Posted by 2K4Celica
Here's what I don't get...

I have a radar detector I never use anymore. Why? Pretty much 100% of the cops here in Atlanta all park and use laser. I went for well over a year without that thing going off. Then it went off once. As I was being shot with the laser. Yeah, that helps a lot.

My question would be, since laser is just about all that matters anymore, are there good detectors that will detect laser well in advance? And I'm not talking about it sensing somone being shot two cars in front of you either. I won't bother unless I can get one actually worth using.

They call me Superman, leap tall hoes in a single bound...
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 97
2K4Celica
Member
2K4Celica Apr 11, 2:56am - #130161 
2004 Silver Toyota Celica GT
Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 97
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, then it can tell you all kinds of nifty information, like from *which direction* the cop who's going to pull you over is shooting the laser.

Yay.

I guess there's simply no such thing as a laser detector that gives advanced warning considering it all works on line of sight. All it takes is one car, hill, tree or overpass to break that, and then the best detector in the world hanging in your windshield guarantees you only one thing: a nice loud beep to let you know you're going to get pulled over.

~ 2004 Silver GT
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr Apr 11, 5:46am - #130162 

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Originally Posted by CeLlYgT04
Definately don't go cheap if you plan to buy a radar detector...

Go with a Valentine One, or Passport 8500
Hmmm. I don't know about those. Kinda pricey.

I've got one that I won at an auction in highschool, and I think it sells for a little over 100 dollars. Works great. Picks up everything from the auto doors at the malls and shopping centers, and it has never failed to detect a cop using radar.


If I wouldn't have gotten the thing for free, I probably wouldn't have gotten one at all. It's kinda hard to miss a cop, unless you aren't looking for them. I always see the cop before my radar detector goes off.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016