well, i've had the eyelids from the infamous jdm & TRD
for about a year and i finally installed them yesterday along with mesh grilles i painted, speedsource's shifter cable bushings, batmobile's overlays and blue bomber's advice on cleaning the throttle body and iac valve.
1. the eyelids went on like a breeze and gave the car a different look. it wasn't until later last night that i noticed the outer sides didn't cover the headlight completely
. is that normal?
or do i have to take a heat gun to it and reposition the lids. looks great from the front though.
2. well, the vinyl overlays were a snap but i didn't realiz the Sidemarkers
wouldn't be covered completely. oh well. maybe i could use a black marker around the sides
3. the shifter bushings were fairly easy to change with the removal of the stock rubber bushings being the only frustrating part. i almost removed the battery tray to make the top bushing easier to get to but i just used a modelers hook tool (looks like a dentist tool) to pry them both out. shifter is more precise along with my b&m ss and i don't seem to have that occasional problem shifting into 1st
. hopefully that was the fix i needed instead of the synchros (need more time to test it out).
4. the grilles were easy too. got em for $20 from ebay already cut about 7 months ago (yeah, i lag with some things). i finally painted them 2 weeks ago with a couple coats of duplicolor black primer and semi gloss black. yesterday i removed the small stock grille w/emblem and replaced it. i then added the bottom grille since the 2000's didn't come with a grille (stupid toyota). i attached them by drilling a few small holes and using some metal wire that came with the grilles. up close they may not look oem but from a slight distance you can't tell and the stock front looks better
5. after reading blue bomber's write up on cleaning the iac valve and throttle body i wanted to try and eliminate the occasional idle problem. trying to keep the straw inserted, keep the CAI
hose on, adjusting the throttle cable and spraying the iac opening and throttle body flap was somewhat frustrating. the idle went a little crazy and i saw the area i was spraying get cleaner but i wasn't sure if i cleaned enough. the test drive proved i got a little more torque and hp but the idle issues seemed the same. maybe it needed to dry up more. i may try cleaning it once more to be sure...