Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
First of all, let me tell you that I have an Injen race div. CAI, and tanabe super racing medallion cat back exhaust.

Today, I decided to have my reasonator removed. I took my car down to a local muffler shop and they said that they would do it for $30 in 20 minutes. I agreed and afterward I have no regrets. Now that it has been removed, my TSRM sounds like twice as loud. The sound itself hasnt changed, but it just got louder, and I could feel a slight increase in performance.rolleyes

For all those TSRM owners who want a little more out of their car, I suggest the following...

[Linked Image]

2001 Toyota Celica GTS
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
so the sound didn't sound like a higher pitched sound? It sounder deeper, louder, and better? Let me know cause for 30 bucks thats well worth it.

Current Mods:
Custom Exhaust w/ TSRM muffler,Injen CAI,Hotchkis Lowering Springs,Carbon Fiber Dash,35% Tint,UnderDash Neons,S2000 Antenna,Redded Out Tail Lights,Red Corner Lenses + Blinkers,Radio Face, AEM Tru-Power Pulley

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Yes, in my opinion, it is much deeper, louder, and better. Also, when you do this, you free up some restriction that was held in place by the stock resonator. So doing this will give you some nice gains that i felt especially in 1st gear.

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
good job Steven goodjob goodjob goodjob , i will take pictures of what my exhaust looks like under my car grin

[Linked Image]

XxX
so i can take this down to midas and they can remove the stock resonator and replace it with a pipe they have in stock i guess? i might have to do this soon...

How about this set-up?

[Linked Image from imagestation.com]

But not necessarily with a Tanabe muffler..

[ 04-07-2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Selica ]

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
you will feel the power once you take out the reasonator thumbsup goodjob goodjob , i recommend this as well cheers

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
YO! Steven, I know what you're saying. I did that to my car last Friday, but blew my motor the same day, so I didn't get to enjoy it very long. Did you get a high flow cat? I did.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I dont know about midas... open up your local phonebook and take it to one of the muffler shops...

Originally posted by XxX:
so i can take this down to midas and they can remove the stock resonator and replace it with a pipe they have in stock i guess? i might have to do this soon...

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Thax I believe on the nc.org boards has done that to his TSRM. He said it is louder... I talked to him in december at the mbautosport meet.

Originally posted by Selica:
How about this set-up?

But not necessarily with a Tanabe muffler..

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
high-flow cat is my next step to my exhaust system. right now i'm working on my suspension. remember to build your car from the ground up boys and girls!

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT

hehe, this is the same setup i got thumbsup goodjob goodjob goodjob

[Linked Image]

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
is it a different pipe or same pipe welded down? Why is a resonator important/not important?

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
The resonator acts as a glass pack, it reduces sound. Its almost like a muffler in a way. Taking it off reduces restriction and allows more sound. Get custom piping.

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
will most places already have the pipe to put in the place of the resonator or did you have to go somewhere and get it?

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
most muffler shops have a stock of different pipe sizes and bends... they should have the right piping to get it done. to replace the reasonator with piping, it only required a piece about 18-20 inches long...

Originally posted by Chiller:
will most places already have the pipe to put in the place of the resonator or did you have to go somewhere and get it?

Originally posted by Street Prototype:

hehe, this is the same setup i got thumbsup goodjob goodjob goodjob
Hey Street, do you think it's too loud? I only had my muffler cut out when I had my aftermarket exhaust put in, and I'm still setting off car alarms thumbsup goodjob .. I almost had them cut out the resonator too, but I was scared it'd be too loud.. (I'm scared of them cops.. too many tickets already)..

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
get it cut out for maximum performance.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Just removing won't you give much gain..
It has very little restriction... it's pretty much straight through...
What you should do is.. get a complete custom piping... right after the header...
Install high flow cat... no resonator.. and bolt up the exaust...
That'll give you much better air flow... still has little back pressure...

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
yo Selica, check my thread out, i have a video of how it sounds
Street Prototypes Custom Exhaust cheers

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
by the way Steven, can you shoot a video of your exhaust on how it sounds like? wave

[ 04-08-2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Street Prototype ]

[Linked Image]

yo Selica, check my thread out, i have a video of how it sounds
Street Prototypes Custom Exhaust cheers
Sounds good.. I think I'll have my resonator cut out in the future.. I'll try to take some video too as a kind of before/after thing.. Thanks!

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I dont have a digital camcorder frown Want to do it for me?

by the way Steven, can you shoot a video of your exhaust on how it sounds like? wave

2001 Toyota Celica GTS
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
My setup that I'm going to have in a couple of weeks is: generic headers off of e bay leading to a custom straight pipe (this removes the cat and resonator) then it goes to the other custom welding (removing the tanabe catback muffler) which leads to the tanabe canister muffler. I'm gonna do the welding which removes the tanabe catback muffler last because im gonna see how it sounds with all the other stuff first. I might not do it because it'll be too loud. Maybe? I should have everything done by late April. I'll let you know how it goes. But, as of know all I have is my Injen CAI and TSRM for performance. I can't wait.

Current Mods:
Custom Exhaust w/ TSRM muffler,Injen CAI,Hotchkis Lowering Springs,Carbon Fiber Dash,35% Tint,UnderDash Neons,S2000 Antenna,Redded Out Tail Lights,Red Corner Lenses + Blinkers,Radio Face, AEM Tru-Power Pulley

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ebay headers makes my skin crawl.

What about for those of us with a TRD exhaust? Will it keep the deep sound, just louder, or will it be scratchy?

Kyle-Cel'02
-----------
Silver GT 5-speed --TOTALLED--

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I have the Tanabe Super Racing Medallion. I have no idea what your car's exhaust will sound like with the no resonator/TRD exhaust combo. Someone should try it!

Originally posted by Kyle-Cel'02:
What about for those of us with a TRD exhaust? Will it keep the deep sound, just louder, or will it be scratchy?

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
i agree with Steven, for PPL who have TRD exhaust, give it a shot, theres nothing wrong in experimenting, im sure you'll get somethin out of it...performance cheers

[Linked Image]

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
im guessing it would be close to a kazuma, considering the kazuma is a straight thru exhaust

02 Toyota Celica GTS
02 Toyota Celica GTS
Just got mine removed.. I got TRD est. exhaust and it sounds nice without the reeasonator. They charged me 55 with tax and had it done in 45 min. They have to cut and weld you in a new piece. Sounds louder up till 4,000 rpms then it is the same. I got exhaust and intake so ill see tonight if i got any power.

BOOSTED GT-S

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
No it won't. If anything, it will sound like my exhaust and not the Kazuma. The kazuma welds on directly behind the cat. and it is just plain old piping until about 1 ft from the tip where there is a small resonator.

If you have the TRD exhaust and get the resonator removed off your "downpipe," your exhaust will still sound like it should only it will be louder and the only possible change will be a deeper tone. Not NEARLY as deep or as loud as the kazuma...

the mod i did to my exhaust system was on the "downpipe," and not on the TRD exhaust itself.(god i hate saying downpipe, downpipes are for turbo exhausts not natural aspiration exhausts like ours).

Originally posted by dondiemand:
im guessing it would be close to a kazuma, considering the kazuma is a straight thru exhaust

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Very nice! Pay close attention to accleration in 1st-3rd gear under partial throttle. You'll also probably notice an increase in 3rd gear's lift around 7000-redline while your throttle is WIDE OPEN. I've noticed my car pulls quite hard in that window. smile

Originally posted by SHI_GTS:
Just got mine removed.. I got TRD est. exhaust and it sounds nice without the reeasonator. They charged me 55 with tax and had it done in 45 min. They have to cut and weld you in a new piece. Sounds louder up till 4,000 rpms then it is the same. I got exhaust and intake so ill see tonight if i got any power.

[ 04-10-2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Steven ]

ECelica Staff
ECelica Staff
rofl rofl

I got pulled over the other day for having a illegal exhaust...I think the cop just wanted to check out my car. grin

Anyway's I just showed him the TSRM paper and he left me alone thumbsup Glad I carry it around with me ... has this happened to anyone else, Steven ?

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
TSRM papers? confused , sorry i dont have TSRM but what does the papers state? does it have info that its legal to drive it and all that stuff? cheers

[Linked Image]

02 Toyota Celica GTS
02 Toyota Celica GTS
OK last night i was able to romp the piss out of my car. At 3000rpms, the under car feels like it vibrates or hums at that power point. The car feels a lil more free flowing, lift it has best gains. I have to get my S-AFC dyno tuned later this month so ill post what HP i push with all my mods.. peace

BOOSTED GT-S

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Rice Powered - I haven't had any problem with the police yet. *KNOCK ON WOOD* I have been followed, reved on, yes reved on by a motorcycle cop... and stared down... I have the Tanabe certificate in my glove box and I had it laminated... Rice powered- you should get your certificate laminated for long life... coz you know glove boxes... it will probably crush it all up after a few months...

I just installed "killerm's" engine torque brace. he is a user on nc.org and he sells these things for 56 bux a piece... mine rattles like a mofo because some bolts aren't as tight as they should be.

I highly recommend this engine torque brace for all you celica owners, espeically you manual guys. It makes shifting a lot easier. Basically what this brace does is it stops the engine from shifting slightly under rpms. try it yourself, pop your hood, turn engine on... and rev the throttle body cable...you'll see it move...

shocked you guy paid 400+ for this exhaust, and now cutting out the reasonator and cat-back muffler for a little more gain?? why didnt' you guys just buy a high end muffler (canister) from ebay and make a custom straight pipe? it's the same and cost less.

Life is like a dream...Hopefully when you wake up it isn't like mine.

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
TSRM papers? confused , sorry i dont have TSRM but what does the papers state? does it have info that its legal to drive it and all that stuff? cheers
it basically states that it confirms to California laws, etc..if you want, i can fax you a copy..oh wait, you're not in california..but if you want, i can still fax you one

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
my certificate says my exhaust is 50 state legal

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
In the near future, I'm also working on getting my hands on separate pair of OEM GTS headers to port polish.

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
hey Steven, do you have a picture of that engine torque brace?, sounds interesting, where does it go? what are the dis and advantages of it? post infos cheers grin

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

just got my reasonator removed today after hearing of the improvements from you guys... 1 hour and 67 dollars poorer... i m the owner of a loud ass car. definite hp gains id say not much but some. around 5hp maybe. i like the hp gains.. but the noise level issss... too much. kinda worried about being pulled over now so ive slapped on the silencer again. now it just sounds really high pitched and still loud. don't get this done if ur concerned at all about being too loud. but definatly get it done if ur not concerned about noise and you want more power. hope that helps.

GT300 body kit on, getting fitted, doing install myself.
pics comin as soon as my kit is here and painted...

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I was worried about that too... the trick is to drive so and keep the RPM's down... also stay in the right/slow lane whenever possible... I pass numerous cops everyday,, they never gave me any trouble... just drive the speed limit since you have more attention drawn to your car...

Originally posted by jeremy:
just got my reasonator removed today after hearing of the improvements from you guys... 1 hour and 67 dollars poorer... i m the owner of a loud ass car. definite hp gains id say not much but some. around 5hp maybe. i like the hp gains.. but the noise level issss... too much. kinda worried about being pulled over now so ive slapped on the silencer again. now it just sounds really high pitched and still loud. don't get this done if ur concerned at all about being too loud. but definatly get it done if ur not concerned about noise and you want more power. hope that helps.

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
around 5 hp?! cool shi! im going to the muffler shop after work hehe

driving it around all day today and the rest of yesterday ive found another problem. popping.. my exhaust is popping. those with trd, and tsrm exhausts that have done this... does your pop at all? it maybe just because i have a cheap universal bomz exhaust, but i don't know... let me know what you guys think could be my prob. thx

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
mine pops but it's not that noticeable. I have the TSRM and it is setup so that it doesn't pop as loud. Since you have a universal muffler, yours isn't setup that way. Take a close look at my drawing and you'll see what i'm talking about. smile

i don't exactly see what you mean. is ur cat different or what. and what can i do to stop the popping, or less'n it?