Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 2
The Fever
New Member
The Fever Feb 24, 2:54pm - #110888 
New Member

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 2
Austin, TX
Cosmo Racing CAI

I found this Canadian company that is selling Cold Air Intakes for the Celica GTS, at Cosmo Racing. It looks like they have pretty good customer service, and a decent rep on eBay, but has anyone heard of or used their CAI? By looking at the picture of the intake, it looks like a quality product. The only thing that kind of throws me off is the $110.00 (US) price.
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,269
NorwayGT
Specialist
NorwayGT Feb 24, 3:39pm - #110889 

Specialist
2004 Dodge SRT4

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,269
Seattle, WA
ide stick with Injen or AEM

was....5speed with i/h/e
15.41 @ 89.30mph 2.282 60'

is....04 srt4 stock
13.936 100.15mph 2.177 60'
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,038
Clos
Specialist
Clos Feb 24, 5:22pm - #110890 
2000 Spectra Blue Toyota Celica
Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,038
Alexandria, VA
yeah same here
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,034
CeLlYgT04
Specialist
CeLlYgT04 Feb 24, 6:48pm - #110891 

Specialist

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,034
Orange County, Ca
Originally Posted by NorwayGT
ide stick with injen or AEM


Yup, don't sacrafice quality wink
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,129
Sultan
Speed Omen
Sultan Feb 24, 6:50pm - #110892 

Speed Omen
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,129
Philadelphia, PA
not worth it imo.. see posts above
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
xXMaGNuSXx
hookah-meister
xXMaGNuSXx Feb 24, 7:02pm - #110893 
2000 Liquid Silver Toyota Celica GT
hookah-meister
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
Smog City LA
Considering it's that cheap, I don't think it's CARB legal. And no dynos sheets, so it doesn't look very promising.
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,454
Elec-FuYu
Specialist
Elec-FuYu Feb 24, 7:28pm - #110894 
2003 Silver Toyota Celica
Specialist
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,454
B.C. Coquitlam
stick with AEM and Injen...they are not that expansive..

I am a HID Maniac!!
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,863
v3n0m
Specialist
v3n0m Feb 24, 7:31pm - #110895 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,863
St. George, UT
If they offer a warranty & that it's carb legal, then I would go for it. But I would still stick with Blitz, AEM, & Injen.
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,111
GraSSRooTs
Specialist
GraSSRooTs Feb 24, 8:56pm - #110896 

Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,111
MA
Go Injen.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,899
Gen7fan
ThE iRoN mAiDeN
Gen7fan Feb 24, 9:04pm - #110897 
2003 silver streak Toyota Celica GT
ThE iRoN mAiDeN
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,899
Maryland
Originally Posted by NorwayGT
ide stick with injen or AEM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 753
blackcel
Senior Member
blackcel Feb 24, 10:21pm - #110898 

Senior Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 753
Southeastern, Illinois
Originally Posted by Gen7fan
Originally Posted by NorwayGT
ide stick with injen or AEM

Stick with those.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,658
Evan
Rebel
Evan Feb 24, 10:22pm - #110899 

Rebel
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,658
Washington
Originally Posted by v3n0m
If they offer a warranty & that it's carb legal, then I would go for it. But I would still stick with Blitz, AEM, & Injen.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
VSGTS14
05 WRB
VSGTS14 Feb 24, 11:14pm - #110900 

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,123
Milford, NJ
Originally Posted by NorwayGT
ide stick with injen or AEM

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 522
Rave669
Senior Member
Rave669 Feb 25, 12:53am - #110901 

Senior Member
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 522
Lisle, IL
I don't know, guys, it looks pretty good, better than an e-bay Intake.

MAF fitting is correct and looks well made, in the middle of the piping (not by the TB, which causes CELs), and it's two-piece, which means you could run it as a Short Ram or as a fuul-on race CAI.

While the other guys make Intakes, and claim they are street-legal, if you read the manuals and boxes, most say "CARB Pending". If it says that, it means it hasn't yet passed CARB approval yet, and is currently being tested. Unless it has a CARB number (like a K&N Intake does) it's not legal yet.

Even if it isn't legal by carb, it's still legal in the lower 48. CARB only applies to california. I know like, Virginia is strict when it comes to custom cars, and I'm not sure about Hawaii, but I think it's about the same as here in Illinois, meaning they emissions test, but aren't real strict when it comes to car mods.

You want to see what's legal? check the laws in your state to find out.

As fir the Cosmo Intake, it looks decent, but someone should really take a chance and buy one and dyno it, or at least call/write the manufacturer and get more info; it looks promising (way better than some of the e-bay junk I see out there)

[Linked Image]
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 399
SCOTT03
Member
SCOTT03 Feb 26, 1:10am - #110902 
2000 Black Toyota Celica
Member
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 399
Buies Creek/Sanford, NC
ya know thats real interesting. I like the fact you can switch from true CAI to Short Ram. Probably don't trust the filter on it. I'd put k&n filter on it. I might consider this.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 399
SCOTT03
Member
SCOTT03 Feb 26, 1:12am - #110903 
2000 Black Toyota Celica
Member
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 399
Buies Creek/Sanford, NC
anyone with CAI know about where the Short Ram part of that Intake would sit?

[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
xXMaGNuSXx
hookah-meister
xXMaGNuSXx Feb 26, 2:32am - #110904 
2000 Liquid Silver Toyota Celica GT
hookah-meister
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
Smog City LA
Originally Posted by Rave669
I don't know, guys, it looks pretty good, better than an e-bay Intake.

MAF fitting is correct and looks well made, in the middle of the piping (not by the TB, which causes CELs), and it's two-piece, which means you could run it as a Short Ram or as a fuul-on race CAI.

While the other guys make Intakes, and claim they are street-legal, if you read the manuals and boxes, most say "CARB Pending". If it says that, it means it hasn't yet passed CARB approval yet, and is currently being tested. Unless it has a CARB number (like a K&N Intake does) it's not legal yet.

Even if it isn't legal by carb, it's still legal in the lower 48. CARB only applies to california. I know like, Virginia is strict when it comes to custom cars, and I'm not sure about Hawaii, but I think it's about the same as here in Illinois, meaning they emissions test, but aren't real strict when it comes to car mods.

You want to see what's legal? check the laws in your state to find out.

As fir the Cosmo Intake, it looks decent, but someone should really take a chance and buy one and dyno it, or at least call/write the manufacturer and get more info; it looks promising (way better than some of the e-bay junk I see out there)


CARB legality only applies to California since it has stricter laws than the other states. But interesting thing to note is that most of the other states also use CARB approval as a standard.
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 65
DjFox1270
Member
DjFox1270 Feb 26, 2:35am - #110905 
2000 Black Toyota Celica GT
Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 65
Georgia
I really don't think a brand name Intake is nessessary.

Think about it. You are dropping 200+ dollars on a powdercoated TUBE with a fliter and a brand name stuck on it.

You are paying for a name. Get the dimesions of a AEM Intake and give them to a machine shop. Ask for a 2 inch or so tube bent here and here. Then buy a fliter from K&N and get some silicon fittings from Home Depot. I did this and you know how much it cost me for the same HP gains and fuction?

125 Bucks for the same Intake.

And if brand name really makes that much of a difference to you, get a AEM or Injen Sticker and put it on there. Nobody will ever know that you saved money.

*ndy

Import Lounge, Protecting the world from BLING
[Linked Image]
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 399
SCOTT03
Member
SCOTT03 Feb 26, 2:43am - #110906 
2000 Black Toyota Celica
Member
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 399
Buies Creek/Sanford, NC
i know the tube is not that important but what i would worry about is the filter. I mean there is a definite difference between AEM and Injen so why won't there be a diff between no-name and namebrand? just wondering, anybody put AEM filter on Injen and dyno? wonder if the diff between two Intakes is the filter?

[Linked Image]
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
xXMaGNuSXx
hookah-meister
xXMaGNuSXx Feb 26, 3:07am - #110907 
2000 Liquid Silver Toyota Celica GT
hookah-meister
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
Smog City LA
Originally Posted by DjFox1270

I really don't think a brand name Intake is nessessary.

Think about it. You are dropping 200+ dollars on a powdercoated TUBE with a fliter and a brand name stuck on it.

You are paying for a name. Get the dimesions of a AEM Intake and give them to a machine shop. Ask for a 2 inch or so tube bent here and here. Then buy a fliter from K&N and get some silicon fittings from Home Depot. I did this and you know how much it cost me for the same HP gains and fuction?

125 Bucks for the same Intake.

And if brand name really makes that much of a difference to you, get a AEM or Injen Sticker and put it on there. Nobody will ever know that you saved money.

*ndy


Because some ppl like to stay legal, and brand-name Intakes (AEM, Injen, K&N) usually are CARB legal meaning you won't get a phat ticket if the cops tell you to pop your Hood and don't find a CARB certificate for your Intake. I mean someone has to pay for that CARB approval and it ain't the manufacturers I'll tell you that.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 156
carinv1175
Member
carinv1175 Feb 27, 2:08am - #110908 

Member
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 156
Pennsylvania
I have an AEM and its not 2 pieces its only one pipe plus a K&N cone filter.

IT IS WHAT IT IS AND EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING.
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016